• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Drinking alcohol with crohn’s disease

Drinking alcohol with crohn’s disease

Hey! I’ve have bees diagnosed with Crohn’s disease for about a year now. I’ve noticed that every time I drink I can’t get drunk. Has anyone else noticed that? I used to be a pretty cheap drunk and now I can just drink and drink and I can’t seem to feel a buzz at al! Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has noticed the same?

Hey! I’ve have bees diagnosed with Crohn’s disease for about a year now. I’ve noticed that every time I drink I can’t get drunk. Has anyone else noticed that? I used to be a pretty cheap drunk and now I can just drink and drink and I can’t seem to feel a buzz at al! Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has noticed the same?
Crohn's hinders absorption. You have to watch closely for dehydration. I don't recommend taking advantage of this. I did and it caught up big time. I ended up with ulcers. I still have a couple of glasses of wine here and there. Just use caution.

Im 18, At uni in the UK so drinking is legal. I was diagnosed around 15 so have nothing to compare to but i seem to drink a fair amount before i can get properly drunk but afterwards i see no different effects compared to when i dont drink, may have looser stools after a night out but nothing major has happened as far as i can tell.
Being at uni i am drinking nearly every week but i seem to be the same when im not drinking and when i have recently in terms of bowel movements.

cmack

Staff member
I have noticed that I have a very high tolerance for alcohol and opiates(and also pain oddly enough) since becoming ill at 27. I have never drank the hard stuff since I got sick though, I don't like being drunk and driving the porcelain bus. :(

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome. Please tell your doctor about this fact as it may help them tweak their treatment and/or observation plan for you.

I wish you all the best.

That's interesting, I didn't realise. Alcohol is very bad for my Crohns, so I very rarely drink and on the odd occasion I do so I feel tiddly quite easily because my tolerance has gone down massively.
I'm with you, Lizzie. I wasn't much of a drinker before getting diagnosed, but now after two shots my knees get wobbly. Much more than that and my stomach hurts, so I've cut back from "not often" to "hardly ever".

My family are all social drinkers. At the last family dinner I was at, I made the mistake of commenting that I felt tipsy after a small glass of Bailey's. My aunt laughed at me. Then, to make things worse, my mother congratulated me for having the drink at all. Folks with Crohn's who can still tolerate alcohol are fortunate; my food restrictions make me stand out enough as it is already.