• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Drug I need is not available!?!?

I was recently on penicillin, and developed oral thrush. Got a prescription for Nystatin, except the pharmacist told me that they are very low city-wide, and it's on back order until July. She gave me what she could, and is checking with other pharmacies to see if they will give me some more, since I'm immune suppressed. I can't take the pill form because it would interfere with my other meds. They suggested gentian violet, but you can't swallow it for thrush in your throat. This is so unacceptable. It only cost $10.75 for what she gave me. From what I've read, many drug companies are cutting back on cheap drugs with low profit margins, and that leaves patients without needed drugs. They should be sued, if this is the case.
I checked on line pharmacies, and they're out as well.

my little penguin

Staff member
Big hugs
Had similar issues with ear drops of all things for ds
Had to get the "eye drop " version of the same abx.
Might check if there is another version maybe ...

Good luck

my little penguin

Staff member
One last thing when they thought ds had oral thrush
He was immediately admitted and given an upper endoscopy
The Gi thoughts were normal drugs do not help with thrush for immunosupressed patients AND there is no way to know if it has progressed down the throat unless you scope
Once in the esophagus it can spread systemically very quickly

My Dr's Office called this morning and told me they have a 1 Months supply {Sample Packs} of Pentasa for me, so I soon went and got it!
2- Capsules Twice a day 500 MG each pill {BIG!) So After I returned home I took the first 2! I'll take the other 2 at bedtime. I do feel a tad bit drowsy.

Next week I will have to go into town to the Social Security Office and get Proof of my Yearly income and then go back out with this Info to my Dr. and then They FAX the info along with what paperwork I already filled out to my Insurance and then wait to see if they WILL COVER It! I sure can't afford $800.00 a month!

I wish everyone here a good day and Hope you all are feeling good!

One pharmacy came through and I'm going there tomorrow to pick it up. Thank goodness. After using it twice, it already feels better, so I think it's working. Thanks everybody. It's nice to have someplace where people understand what we go through....