• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dysbiotic gut microbiota causes transmissible Crohn's disease-like ileitis independent of failure in antimicrobial defence

this is a great study, id prefer to address these issues in the fecal transplant thread, but i was waiting for a mouse model of IBD based on changes in the microbiome, and this is kind of a step in that direction. This is the first time I've heard of them transferring "IBD" into another mouse, they have done this with obesity in mice already.

what was really cool is that they could influence where the inflammation occured by giving the mice antibiotics. This supports my previous belief that one of the main differences in uc and crohn's is the type of pathogens that exist. But more importantly, it is strong evidence for the sole cause of IBD to originate from the microbiome and not genetics. This supports the idea of fixing the microbiome issues with a fecal transplant, which could then correct the disease itself.