• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eagles founder, Glenn Frey passed away at 67

"Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia," reads a post on the band's official website.
Source

It seems there has been a spate of musical artists that have passed on recently. Seemso Frey had his own share of autoimmune issues..sad.

fuzzy butterfly

So very sad clash..😔it always seems that when one famous person passes away,a few more seem to follow, strange but true. I love the Eagles music☺

There's one hell of a band being formed up there right now with the recent passings...........wouldn't mind watching that gig

Was very sad to see this on the news. Could it be the pneumonia which eventually killed him? I was wondering how RA and UC could be fatal, assuming he was getting proper treatment. I don't mean to be rude by asking this, just curiosity.

It seems like I remember an article that mentioned he never recovered from surgery in November
He had surgery because of intestinal problems.

scottsma

Today our newspapers are saying his UC was brought on or aggravated by his arthritis meds. ?
So do they mean arthritis was the predominate cause or UC. ?

Here's the latest I've read

https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-did-glenn-frey-die-145613332.html

Since NSAIDs are common in RA treatment but not recommended if you have IBD his UC could've been exacerbated by meds he had to have because his RA was severe enough to warrant it.

It sounds like he was possibly flaring with both UC and RA which had him hospitalized then he contracted two forms of pneumonia. So probably that was the most aggravating factor that tipped the scales.

If I remember correctly- RA affects more than your joints, if in fact if affection your lungs, the pneumonia could have been hard to treat do to RA and I read he came out of remission in December then his body was having a hard time fighting the infection from that angle too.
Ofcourse a lot of "our" meds lower our immune system.

Although thats all just an uneducated guess- I am guessing he had access to the best medical care, and sometimes people do die from these diseases.

Very sad,

Lauren

There was a young actor who was on the Disney channel who passed away from crohn's
related issues I think. The doctors told him to stay, but he left anyway and died.

Wow I don't remember anything of it. I tried to Google it but nothing really came up.

I remember the ABC family actor that was on Secret Life of an American Teenager had CD and spoke about it.

Also, the little blonde girl, Heather O'Rourke, from the original Poltergeist was misdiagnosed as having CD and passed away from some other GI issue.

If you guys come up with the name of that actor please post it.

Oh I see Michael Galeota, from Disney, left hospital AMA then passed away but I haven't seen anything about it being CD. Most articles said autopsy pending and the others discussed him having Diverticulitis as well as cholesterol and other issues.

Oh I see Michael Galeota, from Disney, left hospital AMA then passed away but I haven't seen anything about it being CD. Most articles said autopsy pending and the others discussed him having Diverticulitis as well as cholesterol and other issues.
I couldn't remember what it was he had. Think it was a digestive issue....still sad though.