• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Early diagnosis!

What are some symptoms that would mean you should have a doctor test for Crohn's or another IBD? Also how young can a person be diagnosed? My 1 yr old great nephew is suffering from similar symptoms to my boyfriend who has Crohn's so I wondered if maybe we should be getting him tested for an intestinal or bowel issue. Please let me know your thoughts.

Catherine

Have a appointment to pedi GI for my 14 year old daughter (sister was dx with crohn at 16 years).

We went to the gp for lack of growth and some stomach aches , he ordered blood tests

- Vitamin D low
- iron low
- high folate

We got the referral due to sister dx.

Symptoms would be lack of growth, stomach aches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, etc.

I've heard of kids as young as 15 months, so it is possible.

Take a good look at food allergies and Celiac Disease too. Many symptoms are the same as IBD so it can be really hard to diagnose.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. He doesn't have a lack of growth at all he's actually quite big for his age but he poops 10 times a day and his food more or less comes out exactly how it went it barely digested at all. He reacts to the same foods my boyfriend does. And he doesn't just get diaper rash he gets sores and lesions on his bum and around his anus. He also gets occasional bloating or swelling like my boyfriend. So I was curious as to whether he might have some sort of bowel issue. I my mother, sisters and grandmother all have IBS irritable bowel syndrome so maybe he has that as well. We will get him checked though.

Best test that I know of would be blood work. Aside from all the nasty test out there that mite be rough on a lil guy. I know what they look for and monitor most on me is my white count being elevated. Im sry to hear about the lil guy bein sick