• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eating All Natural

I have a real foods store in my town that only sells items that are all natural, and beef, butter and cheese that are grass fed. I am really thinking about changing my diet from all of the crazy processed food, but I wanted to know if anyone else has went this route, and if so, could you share your experience?

My wife and I try to eat organic We are not strict about it. I stay away from gluten and dairy . I do better than before but I still struggle.

I switched, whole foods and organic. As little processed food as possible. Basically Paleo diet. It is hard: time consuming, labor intensive and expensive, but I've found a lot of improvement in my symptoms.

Definitely a move in the right direction but many natural whole foods can be problematic.

Finding what suits you is the hard part - something like FODMAPS or Paleo AI protocol are good ways to identify what foods are problematic - basically a strict elimination diet eating 'safe' low reaction foods and adding things back one at a time to see what helps and what hurts....

I went from SCD (super low carb) to paleo (low carb) to medium carb paleo (tubers, sweet potato etc) to Perfect Health Diet (about 600 calories of 'safe' carbs a day).

Sounds harder than it is
FODMAPS Podcast - easy listening, i like to walk in nature while i listen
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/09/dr-...rt-and-science-of-the-fodmap-diet-podcast-45/
paleo AI protocol
http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol

I have a real foods store in my town that only sells items that are all natural, and beef, butter and cheese that are grass fed. I am really thinking about changing my diet from all of the crazy processed food, but I wanted to know if anyone else has went this route, and if so, could you share your experience?
I never eat any processed foods. Gave up years ago. Only eat wholefoods or as near to as possible.

I try to eat organic. But not always possible.

I know the USA is rather lacking in standards where proper certified organic is concerned. But Australia is very strict.

I stay away from dairy. Although I can tolerate small amounts of organic butter and raw milk.

And totally avoid gluten and yeasts.

For me, moving away from processed foods has been a huge gamechanger. Along with exercise, I now have a life, and energy, and a positive outlook. I try to eat mostly plants, very minimal red meat (lamb), wild fish, and strictly no additives. Neem is worth a go instead of butter. I'd be looking to be lactose free as well, so only eat minimal cheese like Emmental (for vitamin k2) and 24 month old parmesan.

In the US, i'd steer clear of poultry unless you know the farmer and have watched the chicken grow up. Organic as much as possible. But also look to avoid NSAIDS, and sodium laurel sulphates in laundry detergent.

ebarker2, I am curious about your laundry detergent comment...why do you mention staying away from sdium laurel sulphates?

ebarker2, I am curious about your laundry detergent comment...why do you mention staying away from sdium laurel sulphates?
Sodium Lauryl Sulphates are one of the well known chemical triggers for Crohns; see

http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/83709

among many other papers.

Its in detergents and many popular toothpastes. If you have periodontal disease, as I do, there's a way straight into the bloodstream for SLS to get in. But its also going to affect the mucosa and intenstinal cell wall. There are quite a number of others. IT goes withoug saying that people with IBD should be very careful about what chemicals they come into contact with. Its hard for us to get that the problem is we are exposed to microscopic amounts on an almost daily basis, and the microscopic amounts that get into the bloodstream are enough to trigger the immune system.