• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eating dairy again?

Hello! A couple of months before I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease last year, I cut out pretty much all dairy from my diet because creamy things (i.e. cream-based soups, etc.), milk, and yogurt would make me really upset to my stomach. Since August 2016 I have been undergoing treatment for Crohn's, and I (usually) feel great now. I still don't eat a lot of dairy -- usually just a slice of cheese each day on a sandwich -- but I would like to see whether or not I can tolerate dairy any better now. If possible, I'd like to ease myself back into it. So I'm looking for suggestions: are there any "easy" or "light" dairy foods that would be good to try out first? I assume that I should take it slow and eat dairy in small portions at first rather than a big portion all at once. Any advice would be great!

You can try products made with almond milk ,coconut milk or cashew milk. I can't eat dairy but these are good alternatives.

I enjoy grass fed dairy products. The different dairy product producer Kerry Gold is typically what I eat.

I still can't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I can eat cheese and yogurt. I like Greek yogurt the best and the cheese is fine as long as it isn't too much at one time.

I follow the specific carbohydrate diet (with a couple tweaks), and it has been very helpful. It cuts out lactose, but not all dairy - So I'll eat most cheese (just not fresh cheese like mozzarella, but cheddar, swiss, and hard aged cheeses are fine), butter, and make my own yogurt (fermentation for 24+ hours makes it basically lactose-free). But I don't eat milk, cream, store-bought yogurt, etc.

It's funny how everyone's diet is so different. I had my first flare up in dec and found out I had crohns this past January.

I don't seem to have any issues with dairy, but I I get stomach cramps from pasta and Cheerios (a glutten thing???). I had my first bit of red meat at Mother's Day and that didn't go over so well either.

I've been having a hard time with this diet change because I'm gaining weight (probably from the medication) and I'm not even eating foods I love! I feel like I have hockey or turkey at every meal....I really want a steak or burger!

I eat cheese and ice cream with no issues. Maybe it's the type of cheeses and ice cream? For me I'm eating mozzarella, American and/or cheddar. Philadelphia cream cream cheese on crackers. And breyers ice cream....could breyers maybe have a different level of milk than other brands? Sorry I have no idea if it matters or I'm just lucky milk isn't an issue for me.

Never thought I had a problem with dairy or beef or wheat or sugar but since cutting it out I have been solid for the first time in decades. If you want to try reintroduce dairy maybe start with kefir or Greek yogurt. Being fermented may be easier to digest the lactose.
Have a serving then wait 1-3 days to see if ther is any change.