• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eating in restaurants

Are there some of you who are able to eat food at restaurants and how do you handle that? I seem to only be able to eat chicken noodle soup at Panera's and fish sandwiches at McDonald's (with no cheese and little tartar sauce).

Other places try to make the food the way that I ask for it to be made, but the chefs are always adding extra things that are to fatty for my body to take.

Help here?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

May I ask your diagnosis and if you're currently flaring? Do you keep a food and symptom journal?

There are foods I cannot eat regardless of whether I'm flaring or not. Blockages are my biggest issue. Fast food is perminantly out for me.

DJW, does fast food make u have blockages?
Also, I noticed your link with trillium, do u use them? Any good?

Chicken noodle soup with gluten based noodles? You have to stop gluten and dairy and heal your intestines with nutrition vegetable/fruit green drinks. If you take out the irritating elements, your intestines will heal. Use slippery elm bark powder as well. Also, add water kefir to your diet. The way IBD is formed is from the constant irritating diet of the western world. That is what all the medical professionals aren't telling you, because the condition is so profitable. Once the intestines are ripped up enough, dairy causes more irritation, so that is why they are linked. Stress to the region and general stress stops the healing process. This is how they get you, because you are bleeding, in pain, diarrhea, and everything else. The internal injury is only exacerbated by the immune suppressing drugs, which do nothing to heal you. Eventually, they get to make the big bucks with the surgery, which is the big payday and end goal for the medical professional. The drugs are just a way to distract you as your body deteriorates under the unnatural processes the medical world exposes you to. Every form of IBD is caused by environmental factors. Any biologist will tell you this for any endangered species. So, if you correct the dietary issues that got you to IBD, then you can regain balance. Sadly, children are getting it so fast these days, that they are sucked into a world of unethical doctors/hospitals and big pharma. This diatribe is brought to you by someone that has cured IBD. If you do any research, you will learn that Crohns/UC and all the other intestinal disorders aren't found in the 3rd world. As they make gains economically, their dietary food chain will more and more resemble ours, which will statistically increase their population's risk of getting the condition. Anyway, good luck. And I'm here, to help anyone that would like to help themselves.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Fast food just leaves me feeling sick.

I've been on Trillium when I had no benefits. Its a great program. Everyone is eligible. Deductible is based on family income. I think it is second after other benefits are used up but I don't know for sure.

Red Robin was recently voted one of the most accomidating resturants. I can't seem to tolerate meat, but on good days I can deal with Boca. But Boca only! Not Boca with cheese and sauce and lettus. Red Robin is cool with plain Boca. Also I cant have seseme seeds. They have different breads and are willing to change the buns or just give you boca on a plate. The hard part is the fries - I love thier fries, but fries disagree with me. I'm sure they would be willing to not give them to me if I asked, but love them too much, so I count out 5 fries and give the rest to my husband. Also, I usually only eat 1/2 of my Boca burger.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I see Dr Marshall at McMaster. I was diagnosed at McMaster by Dr. Isenman, a pediatric GI.

Is yours in Mississauga?

Lady Organic

Staff member
I only go to organic raw vegan restaurants occasionaly. I do the rest of my cooking. I dont miss going to the restaurant, life's become less expensive and more tasteful like that. i never ever want to return to a fast food restaurant.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has not had issues eating at restaurants or fast food but he is only 10.
Raw veggies however are a big NO for him causing issues which stinks since pre dx he lived salads etc...
It's very indivualized .
Good luck

To all who have responded to my thread: I now have one more alternative - a burger (or half of a burger) at Red Robin. I also have others who are in the same predicament that I am in. Why is it that there are very few restaurants these days where cooked vegetables are the norm?

To DJW - I need to begin keeping a food diary with symptoms of what happened during the day with certain foods. I did that in 2009 after surgery, but now I need to begin again. With flares - are you referring to Big D or flares of stomach pain or flares with scaring from food?

I am finding it difficult to eat out when I travel. It is not always reasonable to find a hotel with a small kitchen. At least I am okay to travel in the US. It used to be India and China which is not really appropriate now.

DJW

Forum Monitor
To DJW - I need to begin keeping a food diary with symptoms of what happened during the day with certain foods. I did that in 2009 after surgery, but now I need to begin again. With flares - are you referring to Big D or flares of stomach pain or flares with scaring from food?

I am finding it difficult to eat out when I travel. It is not always reasonable to find a hotel with a small kitchen. At least I am okay to travel in the US. It used to be India and China which is not really appropriate now.
I get nausea and a lot of diarrhea.