• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

EEN question

I can't find much info about how this is used. From reading posts, it sounds like some children leave the NG tube in long-term. Is that correct? But others put it in each night? Is this used instead of medications? Could a mom be taught to insert the tube each night>

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have copied your post into the Enteral sub-forum where you should get more replies -

EEN to my knowledge is used in place of and/or in addition to medications - depends on the amount of disease/illness etc. You should get some good replies in the Enteral thread.

Maya142

Staff member
There are a number of kids who've done EEN on these forums - some drink it, others insert ng tubes at night and others keep ng tubes/ g tubes in all the time.
My daughter has only done EN for nutrition and she drank 2-3 Peptamen Jr a day.
I'm going to tag Clash, mylittlepenguin, Farmwife, Tesscorm -- I'm sure they can give your more information and others will chime in soon.

My son just had the tube inserted and left in for 9 weeks. He was grateful to not worry about having it put in again!

My son inserted the tube himself every night and took it out in the morning for 4 months. At first it was just for added calories. And then it was for medicine reasons and 90% of his caloric intake... Then we did total EEN, and he left it in 24/7 until we had to change to a picc line and TPN.

My son would've hated to have me insert it. He guided it and I held the water with a straw for him when he swallowed past his gag reflex. He actually had some relief when we went to leaving it in all the time.

Our GI recommends EEN over prednisone, although we went the Prednisone route. EEN seems to be more common in Canada and Europe than in the US. In my son's case, a NG tube would have been placed by the nurse, and stayed there for 3 mos (although I think the tube has to be replaced after 4wks). He would have been allowed to disconnect the tube from the pump for a few hours a day only. Every case is different and every GI is different though. Some patients are allowed to drink the formula and not have a NG tube at all, others are taught to place and remove the tube themselves. Neither of these options were presented to us however. Seems we have a rather strict GI!

My Grace as we speak is doing two weeks of EEN.
She's on special formula that meant for people with bowel issues.
She has nothing but the formula. This way her bowels can rest and hopefully heal.
We choose to do this instead of steroids...hopefully.
goofychicken does the same I believe when her girl flares.

Grace had an n-g tube placed when she was first dx.
It stayed full-time and replaced every four weeks by a nurse.
It went through the nose and down to her belly. Now she has a g-tube.
It's been surgically place next top her belly button.

This option of EEN seems to be catching on in the USA but some GI here still don't offer it......unless you ask......like I did.

My son isn't on EEN(exclusive enteral nutrition) but EN. EEN is formula only no food by mouth. My son does 90/10 which is 90% formula and 10% food. He does his formula overnight by NG tube. He puts the tube in at night and takes it out in the morning.

Although EEN or 90/10 EN is used for treatment comparable to steroids at initially bringing inflammation under control my son is on it as a means to gain weight as he was deemed failure to thrive(I think that's what it was called). He has been on EN for 8 weeks now and has gained close to 25lbs.

My son will be reducing the EN down to 50% this next week.

My son did 8 weeks of EEN and he drank 8 Pediasure Peptide a day this was in place of prednisone. He has also done like clash's son EN at 90% to gain weight as he was classified as failure to thrive 5' and 75 pounds.

Son has done een three times for 8wks each time through ng tube which he kept in for the 8wks this was instead of steroids to gain remission and weight he was on a special ibd formula called modulen.

Tesscorm

Staff member
My son did six weeks of EEN to induce remission. He then stayed on it for almost another two years, at hLf dose both. He used an elemental formula and inserted his tube each evening. As a maintenance e treatment and for added nutrition. As a maintenance treatment, it seemed to be enough to control the inflammation from worsening but was enough to eliminate it. He then started remicade and now contines to drink 1-2 Boost shakes per day.

Momoftwo - there are a few NG tubes. Depending on where you live & your doctor's preference you probably will have the choice of the tube you can insert & remove. We did not have a choice and only had one that had to be inserted by the hospital and it stayed in for the duration of EEN. There are a few parents that swear by it as a great treatment. It really can't do any harm! Just make sure you read up on it completely before you get into it. It does take up a lot of time.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I can't find much info about how this is used. From reading posts, it sounds like some children leave the NG tube in long-term. Is that correct? But others put it in each night? Is this used instead of medications? Could a mom be taught to insert the tube each night>
It sounds like some children leave the NG tube in long-term. Is that correct? But others put it in each night?

It can be done either way Momtotwo. I would imagine the younger the child the easier and less traumatic it would be to keep the tube all the time. As the child ages you would settle on what they are happiest with and then once they reach teen/young adult years it is likely easier for them to insert the each night.

Is this used instead of medications?

It is often used as a alternative to the first line treatment of steroids. Studies have shown that EEN is as effective as steroids at inducing remission. What it isn’t though is a long term treatment for Crohn’s, like steroids you need to turn to something else to maintain that remission state. That is not to say that many don’t maintain a certain level of EN (not exclusive) to assist whatever other measures they are using to maintain remission and/or as a supplement for weight gain and better nutritional health.

Could a mom be taught to insert the tube each night?

Yes you can. :)

Dusty. xxx