• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eggshell membrane ameliorates intestinal inflammation

Lady Organic, read this for a precise description of what ESM is.

The membrane is the clear film lining the eggshell, visible when one peels a boiled egg. Eggshell membrane is primarily composed of fibrous proteins such as collagen type I.[1] However, eggshell membranes have also been shown to contain glycosaminoglycans, such as dermatan sulfate and chondroitin sulfate and sulfated glycoproteins including hexosamines, such as glucosamine. Other components identified in eggshell membranes are hyaluronic acid, sialic acid, desmosine and isodesmosine, ovotransferrin, lysyl oxidase, lysozyme, and β-N-acetylglucosaminidase.[2]

Interesting, I wonder if it's still effective from eggs themselves? I often noticed improvements with eggs in my diet.

It's fairly price at ~$20/bottle but worth a shot.

I have been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin supplement for a while and my experience is that it really works, so great to see some research on this! If you ever suffer with sore joints related to Crohn's it should clear that up quite quickly. I would be interested to hear other people's experiences with this.

Bufford

I've been on a steady diet that includes one soft boiled egg for breakfast and an egg salad sandwich later on in the evening. I have been in a fairly steady state of remission with only minor flares. Perhaps the eggs help.