• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Elavil

So after my hospitalization last month, I went to my GI after I got out of the hospital and was sort of able to walk again. While at the hospital it was impossible for me to walk because the pain was so freaking intense. Any movement made my bowels have the most excruciating pain. While in the hospital I laid in the bed as still as possible and morphine couldn't help the pain. After several injections of morphine and several hours later (still in the ER), they disharged me and as I got up to walk I crumpled to the floor in terrible pain and they decided to admit me. They reinserted my iv and gave me dialantin and OMG, I was finally able to relax my body and fall asleep.

Okay anyways! After I was discharged when I saw my GI he prescribed me Elavil which is supposed to be an antideppressent but they use it for bowel problems I guess. I was extremely skeptical but I was willing to try anything. I've been taking it along with the Levsin for three weeks now and my pain is actually gone. I haven't had the terrible cramping and I even stopped taking my Levsin. So far, so good! I don't know if its coincidence and that my flare just ended with a big bang ending up with me being hospitalized or if its this Elavil stuff. At this point I really don't care because I actually feel good! We'll see how long this lasts. :)

That is GREAT news Pew Pew!!! So, it seems like you have been here forever - and I can't remember - did you ever get diagnosed or are they still saying IBS?

Peaches said:
That is GREAT news Pew Pew!!! So, it seems like you have been here forever - and I can't remember - did you ever get diagnosed or are they still saying IBS?
My GI is still saying IBS when everyone else is saying Crohn's. Oh well...next flare I am getting a new GI.