• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Electric Heating Blanket

Hi everyone! Just wanted share my discovery, which is def. not something new however, its new to me! My boyfriend has always been good at giving me pratical gifts so for Valentines day he got me an electric heating blanket because I'm always complaining I'm cold. For the past 7 months I have been struggling with a lot of pain, not from my crohns disease but from my newly diagnosed IBS. The first night I slept with the blanket it was amazing what the heat did from my stomach. My body was so much more relaxed and it really helped with the pain. I suggest everyone getting one!

I'm pretty sure we all use a lot of hot water bottles in this group to help with the pain.I find that it helps with diarrhea pain but can make me feel worse if i'm having a bad flare up. I've noticed with me,that if i have heat right on the spot of inflammation. It makes me feel sick and have to stop.I'm really glad that you are getting benefit from heat and spreading the word on heat therapy.;)

I know I'm not alone on this, but I've killed at least 6 heating pads over the years from use. They can really be helpful for many of us.

So glad you found relief with your electric blanket, Dawn!

annawato

Staff member
I use my puppy as a heat pack. Far cuter. :)
But seriously, when I have bad stomach pains a heat pack is the only thing that helps more so than all the oxycodone in the world. So glad you'v got your electric blanket to help Dawn, sounds like a great boyfriend. :)

I love heat for pain especially since my heart feels funny but at the moment its summer here in australia and any type of heat on the body just id unbearable makes you sweaty and just that feeling like being in the hot sun to long so painkillers it is i love using heat to stop pain but at the moment its uncomftorble with the heat in the air

Ozboz, I know what you mean with the summer heat. Right now its winter here so I'm loving the extra heat, however I'm not sure what will happen in the winter.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
heating pads feel so heavenly on my gut when i don't feel well. it really helps me to relax a bit more and ease some of the pain even if temporarily.

Glad you found something that works for you.

I am the same 2thfairy, I go through heating pads like crazy! I think because they are not really ment for as much use as we put them through! I mean I have mine on all day a lot of days. It has an auto shut off after two hours, so I always try and shut if off for a bit, but still, wear and tear after awhile they do not get as warm and I know it's going and I need a new one!

I know I'm not alone on this, but I've killed at least 6 heating pads over the years from use. They can really be helpful for many of us.

So glad you found relief with your electric blanket, Dawn!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I have a heating pad, 3 microwaveable stuffed animals (like a portable/cordless heating pad of sorts), and 3 electric blankets. :) One on my bed, one for travelling, and one on my chaise lounge. Speaking of comfort, I highly recommend getting a chaise lounge. It's so comfy but I can sit up in it too for those times when the GERD or nausea won't allow me to lie down. Electric blanket + chaise lounge = so comfy!