• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Elemental diets???

elemental diets???

my doctor is thinking of putting me on an elemental diet which is pretty much:

An elemental diet is a diet that proposes the ingestion, or, in more severe cases, use of a gastric feeding tube or intravenous feed of liquidized nutrients, in an easily assimilated form. It is usually composed of amino acids, fats, sugars, vitamins, and minerals. This diet, however, lacks whole or partial protein, due to its ability to cause an allergic reaction in some people.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been on one and did it work? Im 17 so being fed with a gastric feeding tube is kinda of a big deal ..... any advice????

They dont normally use gastric feeding tubes with elemental diets unless you are in hospital....
I was put on Elemental 028 liquid when I was first diagnosed. It's a bit grim but not as bad as pred and the like.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
There are a few people on here that have been on it before. If you use the search option, you might be able to find some threads about it. I THINK SoupDragon has been on it a few times as well as NatalieMT. You can search by keyword and even by username if you do an advanced search.
Beth's right - it's not done with a feeding tube, it's an actual drink that is prepackaged. You can freeze it and eat it that way too.