• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Embarassed a little worried

So I have a colonoscopy scheduled for January 5th which I'm completely fine with. I've had no problems with it in the past but I'm very worried about this one. I had to sign a waiver the other day allowing them to do what she wants them to do. Apparently I am abnormally very small in my rectum and well yes that area. This embarasses me greatly and I didn't tell my parents or gf (whom I am extremely close with and we tell each other everything) for a few days after my GI said this is something she wants to take care of-thats how embarassed I am-. She said that she's having a guy doctor do it because she thinks I'll be more comfortable with that....i don't really care about that but going with somebody I have no idea who he is and will meet him just before this whole thing happens kind of worries me too. What I am really worried about though is that the whole reason for this colonoscopy is to dilate any regions where I am abnormally small. She said there is a risk of tears, and ripping and I probably will bleed after :( Apparently a largely affected area for me is that region and she says that if its dilated it will help with a lot of my symptoms because despite me being really really sick and having large amounts of diarrhea it will sometimes takes me a atleast 30-40 minutes to get it all out before I would even dare standing up and often have to come back to the toliet shortly. While I think this would be great I really don't know how comfortable I am with this and I'm really scared about it. Has anybody else had this done? also please don't sugarcoat it if you have how much pain were you in the next day and afterwards?

p.s. - I will be sedated and in LALA land throughout the whole thing. This is why the colonoscopy doesn't bother me and actually I think the worst part is drinking those damned laxatives the day before- god they taste like hell-but I'm really worried about the blowing me up like a goddamn balloon and feel very awkward about the whole thing.

:poo: (just wanted to throw him in cause I think he is funny and haven't used him yet :tongue:

I have anal stenosis, as my surgeon seemed to like pointing out to my GP, multiple times. I didn't really get the significance of it until I started to become asymptomatic... constipation due to opiates stings a bit.
Presumably for this 'oscopy they will they will either heavily sedat you or give you a GA? - I've not been dilated, and it doesn't sound too great, but OTOH from your symptoms I'd try to get it sorted.
Have you spoken to you GI about your fears and worries over this?

And try not to be embaressed about anything. Even the Queen poos...

No I haven't told my GI because Im pretty sure it should be done and I know she will just tell me the waiver and stuff are just for security reasons and rarely happen and so on... I will be heavily sedated again. I'm a lot of fun on those. I don't have a surgeon or anything it was discovered just by my GI...Apparently thats the region I'm affected the most which is why its so small. I don't want to talk to my parents about it either because its just not something I want to talk about with them. And I am dying to get better because lately it has not been great but I am very worried about it. I guess I should talk to somebody and I am seeing my GI soon after my ultrasound next week so maybe her.

Some GI's don't do procedures MWB, only clinic visits. Crazy - I'm sorry you are struggling with this. I really understand you not feeling comfortable with sharing this with your parents - but you really should pick one of them to share this with if you are still at home with them. The reason I say this is if something major happens and they are the ones that would be responsible for seeing to your care - it might be good for at least one of them to be up to date on what recent procedures you have had so they can share this with the docs in case you are unable to. I know that sounds extreme, but better to be prepared I say.

And I am NOT trying to scare you out of doing this procedure because it truly does sound like it could improve your quality of life - but you said to be honest, so. Those waivers are there for a reason. When I had my first colonoscopy where they were able to diagnose Crohn's (this was over 13 years ago) they took several biopsies around a very diseased area. I can't remember the time span (I'm working on getting all of my medical records right now) but within a week or two I was in the hospital for emergent surgery for microperfs to that area. I remember asking her months later if taking the biopsies could have caused the perfs and for me to have to have surgery and she said it was definitely a possibility. So, me signing that waiver - well - I couldn't really say or do anything because I had signed it. It is a way for them to cover their butts for the few that do end up having problems. It doesn't protect them against medical malpractice though. And if you don't sign it - well - they aren't going to work on you. I just wanted to put all that out there for you so you'll be aware.

I'd research the doctor online that is going to do your procedure and maybe even call and see how many of these type of procedures he has done. Maybe that will put your mind at ease a bit. It really does sound like you need to have it done - if only for your leg's sake - sitting on the toilet for that length of time can be painful for them :O) Good luck!!

Last edited:
Mike- I don't care about the guy dong it, don't care if its a girl either the only thing that worries me is its somebody new whom I've never met and have no idea what he is like. The sex of the person who is doing it doesn't bother me whatsoever.

Thanks Peaches. My parents know whats happening, im only just 18 years old and first year university and therefore very broke and living at home. Also because of my age I must also have to have them sign off on all waiver forms as it is also a legality thing here. My parents do know whats going on I just don't want to talk to them about me having a small a*$ and colon. I guess I really just worried the most because I don't know what to expect, I don't know how I'll feel after, and I'm worried if I get my hopes up that this is really going to help and it doesn't or something goes wrong that I'll end up very very upset because I'm already getting frusterated with my new meds. I do know it should probably be done its just everything right now is happening so fast and I'm going through a lot here too with Crohn's and other life problems which isn't so great. I think I'm going to talk to my girlfriend tonight about everything as she seems to help me the most when I'm upset and not doing well. And you are right my leg's do need the relief sometimes I have to get up and walk around the bathroom for a minute to get the numbness out and then sit back down and finish up. I'm regularly late for things, not because I'm severly sick but because it won't come out fast enough. It also prevents me from having anything solid coming out because its well just too small to. This is all a result of me being on Asacol before with my first doctor which really did very little to help this region. My old doctor did absolutely nothing in follow up and when I told him things were getting much worse he just told me to increase pills.....So here I am and thanks for your honesty, I guess there are a lot of things we would all prefer to go with out but we don't get much of a choice do we?

Thanks guys and if anybody else has had it I'd really appreciate your honest memories of what happened. I would really like to know is this something I'm going to be hurting a lot afterwards and the next day or is it going to be the pain we feel when we do get really sick?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Ahh Crazy Canuck...I wish I had the procedure done so I could tell you it was a piece of cake....I'm sure there will be some discomfort involved afterward...Have you found anything else on-line about it?? Maybe you should start a new thread with just the question,"Has Anyone had .....done?"

I'm really sorry you are having to go through this right now. Try to change how you think about it. Look at the positive outcomes that are possible if it is successful, try to focus on that??

Yes maybe I should do that. And I am trying to focus on the good, I usually do and am actually very good at it but I'm stressed out right now and I usually don't ever get that way which is making this all the more overwhelming. I know it should be done just the ifs and the adverse possibilities are making it hard to focus on the good. Thanks though for the help.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I googled anal dilation just to see if i could find some info for you....There were quite a few articles, but a lot of them had to do with people who have had anal fissures which led to scarring of the rectum...I didn't know if you have that history. I know, when I worked in the newborn nursery occasionally we would have a baby with a congenital stenosis. The moms would be taught how to do stimulation to encourage bowel movements until some sort of procedure could be done.

Hmm ok. Well seeing as my first doctor told me absoultely nothing about my condition I will find out for the first time (hopefully) all the areas I'm affected and to what extent as well. I don't believe I have that but I was never really told anything so I'm not exactly sure. Thanks for googling it for me, I did too but like you didn't find a whole lot really.