• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Emergency bowel resection after colonoscopy

On Wednesday 10/24 I went in for a colonoscopy to help me determine whether to opt for resection or biologics. I had been leaning toward the surgery due to my fears about the meds.

During the colonoscopy my small bowel perforated when my GI tried to open a stricture that we knew was there, and which had been dilated before. Unfortunately, the bowel was so weak, it perforated and in a semi- conscious state I was rushed via ambulance to the hospital where I had both that already diseased area, and another area we also knew was structured removed.

It is now Tuesday 10/30 and I am still hospitalized. I had difficulty tolerating the narcotic pain meds, had to have an NG tube place for about 17 hours due to vomiting bile three times. Now, while I am peeing and pooping (sludge like substance) I am having lots of discomfort eating anything but liquids. My surgeon wants to be sure that I can tolerate real food before he releases me.

So, I have so many question for you all: I am having trouble figuring out what pain is to be expected and what I worrisome. How do I figure this out? Also, how long does it take to be able to eat with no pain? I am so uncomfortable here is this hospital bed. My back hurts, everything is plastic lined and so I am hot, then cold, then hot again. I have no fever, so I am choking it up to being hospitalized. Did anyone else feel like this? When will I feel normal?

This has been very hard. Stressful, painful and long. I want to go home, but not until I am safe. My kids need me home too. Thanks for reading my long sob story!

Lisa

Oh man... this was my exact story on Sept., 26th... I went in for a colonoscopy and my GI perforated my illeum. I woke up with a temporary bag.

Regarding the pain: I was in pain everyday all the time, but it was manageable. I was using Tylenol for most of it (the day of and after I had a morphine pump and then the next 2 days I had IV Torodol). The nurses just made sure I could keep my pain level at a 2 or 3 out of 10 at most times (and I think that's the goal... to make it manageable pain).

I had the NG tube too (and they put mine in coiled at the back of my throat PAINFUL) but I was able to get it removed pretty quickly.

My back hurt SO bad, but its mostly because you can't use your abs right now and you are using your back to move around and do everything. Sitting up helped a lot, I also sometimes took the Tylenol for back pain... not abdominal pain.

As far as the hot cold thing... see if you can get more blankets to put on top of your bedding to make the plastic stuff as far away from your body as possible. I would get hot and soak my gown, so I just made sure I got a new one when I needed it. It also helped to have someone bring me my own clothes because they are more absorbent than those gowns.

Things will get better. I promise. I was in for 10 days total. Just take things slowly (food) and make sure you are walking around as much as possible to help your bowels move and your back feel better. Getting up and walking around also helps cool your bed down while you're gone.

Good luck Lisa!

Thank you so much for your response. The doctors have d/c'd all pain meds except Tylenol which does nothing for me. My GI has allowed the occasional Motrin because I have no history of bleeding, and that works a bit better. I will walk in circles again today through the halls of the hospital until.

Thank you also for the bedding suggestion...I had not tout to add more layers of sheets/ blankets between me and the mattress. I too wake up drenched in the middle of the night.

Ten days in the hospital is SO long...I am struggling with day seven. I hope they will let me leave this afternoon.

Oh Wow, I am so sorry what you are dealing with. How horrible. This is one reason I am so terrified to have a colonoscopy. I think they can be very dangerous, especially for someome who is already inflammed in my opinion. I am sorry this happened to you. Yes, those beds in the hospital are very uncomfortable, that is for sure. I would ask maybe your hubby or a family member to bring you some of your own jammies to wear, those gowns are terrible. I agree, I would get some extra blankets and put them on top of the bed to make it softer.

Hope you get to go home soon.... They say a person really does heal better at home. I was in the hospital when I had a ruptured tubal pregnancy. It was awful. The nurses bothered me so much during the night I got no sleep at all) plus my room was right by the nurses station.) I left after 2 days. I could not stand it anymore. But I will say this, I would make sure you are ok to leave before you do. I mean I am sure your surgeon will know when you are ready to go. I hope it is soon for your sake.... Hope you feel better soon.

On Wednesday 10/24 I went in for a colonoscopy to help me determine whether to opt for resection or biologics. I had been leaning toward the surgery due to my fears about the meds.

During the colonoscopy my small bowel perforated when my GI tried to open a stricture that we knew was there, and which had been dilated before. Unfortunately, the bowel was so weak, it perforated and in a semi- conscious state I was rushed via ambulance to the hospital where I had both that already diseased area, and another area we also knew was structured removed.

It is now Tuesday 10/30 and I am still hospitalized. I had difficulty tolerating the narcotic pain meds, had to have an NG tube place for about 17 hours due to vomiting bile three times. Now, while I am peeing and pooping (sludge like substance) I am having lots of discomfort eating anything but liquids. My surgeon wants to be sure that I can tolerate real food before he releases me.

So, I have so many question for you all: I am having trouble figuring out what pain is to be expected and what I worrisome. How do I figure this out? Also, how long does it take to be able to eat with no pain? I am so uncomfortable here is this hospital bed. My back hurts, everything is plastic lined and so I am hot, then cold, then hot again. I have no fever, so I am choking it up to being hospitalized. Did anyone else feel like this? When will I feel normal?

This has been very hard. Stressful, painful and long. I want to go home, but not until I am safe. My kids need me home too. Thanks for reading my long sob story!

Lisa