• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Employee in hospital/ flatulence

I have Crohn’s disease for 11 years now. I was gassy at work so I sprayed some essential oil spray to mask the smell. My supervisor told me that I cannot use essential oils at work. The policy states no parfumes or cologne not essential oils. I told her the reason but she did not care and proceeded to tell me she’ll make an appointment with HR about it. I do not wear parfume. I wear essential oils sometimes. It helps me a lot to deal with stress especially at work. But it also is very healing. I do not know what to do, she is a bully and micromanager! Any suggestions or comments welcome!

How about citrus type essential oils. It smells like food. Orange is particularly pleasant. You can also actually have an orange at hand and open it up. It's essentially the same smell. I understand the work policy but I think if it's a stronger essential oil, then it can be unpleasant for others, however, you might be able to easily get away with a citrus smell and it will mask your gas.

How about citrus type essential oils. It smells like food. Orange is particularly pleasant. You can also actually have an orange at hand and open it up. It's essentially the same smell. I understand the work policy but I think if it's a stronger essential oil, then it can be unpleasant for others, however, you might be able to easily get away with a citrus smell and it will mask your gas.
ok great idea. It just upsets me that my boss is not understanding. I wasn’t around any patients in our office at the time. It’s quite embarrassing when it does happen.

Some people are just firmer with policies. We had the same policy at work. Some people were wearing strong perfumes and some people can be allergic to certain smells. I am guessing your boss does not want to make an exception for one employee. Try not to take it personally.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Even essential oils can cause issues, so I see it as following policy.....and even if you weren't around patients, if the scent is sitll on you, it may cause issues further away as you interact with people.