• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Emulsifiers in most Supplements, a warning.

Since learning about how emulsifiers can feed bad bacteria in the gut and contribute to dysbiosis from recent studies, I also noticed that many supplements manufacturers put these previously regarded safe substances in their products, and its hard to find a supplement that doesn't use them.

As far as I understand it's the synthetic emulsifiers which might be dangerous, they are used as binders and thickening agents to change the texture of foods, but polysorbate is one of them, modified starch, hydroyproplmethylcellulose, croscarmellose sodium, xanthan gum, and a few other names.

So it's unfortunate but I would just like to warn people on this site because we are always looking to find ways to boost our health and taking supplements is one way we hope to do that, it would suck to unknowingly expose ourselves to emulsifiers which could make our disease worse.

http://www.nature.com/news/food-preservatives-linked-to-obesity-and-gut-disease-1.16984