• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ended up in the ER ugh

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
So, I ended up in the ER today for sudden onset of acute pain upper left quadrant radiating into my left shoulder/arm….

Turns out I have a 50% splenic infarct, secondary to my coil embolization this past Thursday.
Let me tell you, hurts like a sob!
Now I need to check with my GI to see if I can still get my Remicade infusion tomorrow afternoon…..ugh

left the er with a Percocet prescription and need to follow up with my vascular surgeon.

Scipio

Turns out I have a 50% splenic infarct, secondary to my coil embolization this past Thursday.
Let me tell you, hurts like a sob!
Yeah, every doc always tells you how great embolization is compared to open surgery for SAA, but somehow they never seem to tell you much about the risk of a painful infarct. I never had the chance for an infarct, because they took my whole spleen out when the SAA ruptured. But you will be immunologically much better off with only half a spleen than with none at all (like me).

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yeah, every doc always tells you how great embolization is compared to open surgery for SAA, but somehow they never seem to tell you much about the risk of a painful infarct. I never had the chance for an infarct, because they took my whole spleen out when the SAA ruptured. But you will be immunologically much better off with only half a spleen than with none at all (like me).
I actually did a lot of reading up, and knew there was a chance…the suddenness of it caught me by surprise though!
Did get a call from the surgeon this afternoon while on the way home from my Remicade infusion - he said the ct yesterday looked good as far as the embolization, and that at least some of the infarct should resolve itself.
My hope now is that I don’t end up with any other complications such as an abscess etc….my white count was high today, but a little lower than yesterday (15k vs 16)…but I did start on a prednisone 6 day taper Friday due to my reaction to the tramadol.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
How are you doing Lisa? Do you need to delay your infusion?
No, called the GI office this morning and they said it was ok, so off I went….I did get a ride to/from- my mom took me and my husband picked me up so I could stay on my Percocet schedule. :)

Sitting here at home watching a replay of the Olympics while having hot flashes….did I mention I’m working my way into/through menopause too? When it rains it pours!!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hang in there Lisa, and hope this comes to an end sooner.
Thanks! Pain meds certainly help…actually was outside for a few minutes today and managed to give the horses some hay (small amounts so it wasn’t too heavy!) so that my daughter didn’t have to do it tonight. Won’t be rolling any round bales by hand any time soon though lol. Come on spring!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Take it easy, Lisa. I hope things improve soon.XX
Thanks!! It’s definitely helping with my weight loss ‘program’ lol….I can afford it, thankfully…..I’m going to try to taper the Percocet starting tomorrow, adding in Tylenol instead and/or lengthening the time between pills.

Speaking of which, almost bedtime!! 😁😁

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks!

not feeling too bad today- although did have some pretty bad cramping this morning, but I attribute that to not having a bowel movement in 2-3 days (probably partly due to the Percocet)…..I did pop a couple of stool softeners early this morning to combat any constipation as I figure straining might not feel great (and it didn’t!).
I did only take Tylenol this morning, but popped a Percocet a few hours ago after the above issue…..husband wasn’t too happy to find part of the deck shoveled and evidence of me running the tractor/snowblower in the driveway 🙄🙄🙄…..

anyway, hoping to actually do some work from home tomorrow, I did bring paperwork with me so I don’t have to use as much time off.
Little by little making progress!

Bufford

..husband wasn’t too happy to find part of the deck shoveled and evidence of me running the tractor/snowblower in the driveway 🙄🙄🙄….
Take it easy Lisa, its easy to over do it. I remember coming home from hospital after getting my colostomy and wanting to engage in life. I was cutting grass, and doing firewood. It was too much too soon, as I wanted to resume a normal life. Over time I was able to get back into a regular routine, but one must not be too over enthusiastic at the beginning. Before too long, you will be riding your horse.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks Bufford!

it is tough when you are used to doing things on your own…🙄🙄

did do some more stuff today- had to go to the store, did a tiny bit of snow clearing on the deck….. got the tractor out and cleared more snow and also moved a round hay bale (with the in to the horses pasture so they have food for the next few days.
Kind of paying for it….although the pain isn’t the same….. this is more lower left quadrant where I know I have diverticulosis….achy pain….I did lay down for a little bit after getting Tori from Drama cub…. Until the cat 🐈⬛ decided to start climbing on me lol.
Tomorrow will be a ‘light’ day- some computer work is planned and maybe vacuuming…no outside stuff!!!!

at least I haven’t tried carrying the rest of the Christmas decorations upstairs. 😁😁

I’m glad I took the whole week off from work, definitely not up to walking 3-4 miles/day including stairs!!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hang in there, Lisa... And be sure to let your husband do the hard stuff. XX
Thanks! Last night was kind of rough - woke up with upper LQ pain and shoulder pain again.....endured it for about 15-20 minutes before popping a pill.....

Oh - hubby is in 'bad' shape too lol...back, shoulder, neck (disk replaced)...etc etc....lol.....we make quite a pair!!!

Today's plan is doing some computer work as long as our inspection program cooperates, and maybe baking a loaf of lemon poppyseed bread....mmmmm

Bufford

Take it easy Lisa! Your body is telling you to ease up on the heavy work. I know, I felt exactly like you did when I got out of hospital. I recall after only three weeks out of hospital going out to my remote cabin and wrestling the canoe into the water, I just about popped my stitches from the colostomy surgery doing it.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Take it easy Lisa! Your body is telling you to ease up on the heavy work. I know, I felt exactly like you did when I got out of hospital. I recall after only three weeks out of hospital going out to my remote cabin and wrestling the canoe into the water, I just about popped my stitches from the colostomy surgery doing it.
Today was a do-nothing day, feeling like crap and in pain most of it.
I’ve taken a couple of Percocet today, and will be popping another shortly (need to make sure dinner is all set). I did also end up throwing up once, felt nauseated most of the day and I guess my body finally said enough. Thankfully I didn’t have anything in my stomach.

of course my husband is out of town tonight, if I do feel this bad tomorrow I will be calling the doctors office in the morning. I don’t want to worry hubby again like I did on Sunday when he was out of town for work!

I may need to call a friend to put more hay out for the horses tomorrow, I know they have enough for a few days but I’d like them to have at least a weeks work out there (round bales) ‘just in case’.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Even though I did ‘nothing’ Thursday, overnight was not a picnic and I did end up back in the er for better pain meds mid-morning. Also had another ct, which showed no change (good thing with no additional infarction from Sunday)…..

spent a few hours there, got some fluids and a monster potassium pill as my potassium was very low ….and a new prescription for stronger (7.5) pain Med.
Last night wasn’t bad, still up a few times, but as long as I don’t move around too much, or burp (amazing how that hurts vs coughing!!) I’m not bad. Did pop a 5 Percocet about an hour and a half ago to take the edge off once the pain started to travel to my shoulder on a semi-deep breath, and think I’ll be lounging in bed most of the day.
Sigh…..hoping I can go to work on Monday- even though I have a ton of time off on the books, I don’t want to use too much of it!!

oh- I did get a nice surprise yesterday- from my boss and immediate coworkers…..a bouquet 💐.

Attachments

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
How are you doing, Lisa?
A lot better...mostly...went back to work on the 14th, did work slightly shorter days during the week, and had last week off for vacation. The past couple of days I've been achy on my left side - both up toward the ribcage and in the lower left quadrant which I think is the diverticulosis....I have a few other things going on with work/home and after this week if I'm still not feeling 100% I'll be calling the GI office for an appointment (I have one for May but that is too far away).