• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Endoscopic Needle Knife Stricturotomy (NKSt) vs balloon dilation for Crohn's disease stricture treatment in distal ileum...any advice??

Later this month I am supposed to have a balloon dilation in order to treat a stricture in my distal ileum, with steroid injections in order to try to avoid surgery.

However doing some research online I discovered that the balloon dilation results usually do not last very long.....I came across with this other procedure by the rather long name of Endoscopic Needle Knife Stricturotomy (NKSt)....

It seems that the results last much longer than the balloon dilation but it seems it is not done very commonly. Also I watched a Youtube video of the procedura and it is rather scary!!!

I was just wondering, is anyone here familiar with this procedure???...

Lynda Lynda

I want to know the answer too since my issue is in the exact same area.
I will track your post.

🥇 This is for you for surviving the scary video 😳.

Lynda