• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Endoscopy & Colonoscopy this Friday afternoon

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if there's anything to expect since I have my colonoscopy and endoscopy this Friday afternoon. I've started my prep today (low fibre diet) and I have to do the laxatives & fast all day Thursday. Are there any tips or anything I should do beforehand? Also just a general idea of what it's like. Thank you and hopefully I get my diagnosis on Friday haha.

Note: This is an American colonsocopy; your results may vary.

You go in on the operation day, driven in or taken in, because you can't safely get yourself home afterwards. You check in, go in back when your name is called like any other appointment. Then you get a little area and strip and put on a hospital gown. After this nurses come and prep you. For me one took my vitals and quizzed me on my medications while the other prepared my catheter. It hurt surprisingly little, a little pinprick then a very odd sensation in my hand of a foreign weight. I had them wrap it up because I have an irrational fear of foreign objects in my body. I didn't notice it after the first five minutes as a result. After this it's more waiting, then they roll you in and ask you more questions about your drugs and if you consent to anesthesia (in America you sign at this point) They plug the drugs into your catheter and you forget everything. You "wake up" and get a rambling speech by your scopist and some pictures of your colon and stomach to remember the fun you two had together.

Note: This is an American colonsocopy; your results may vary.

You go in on the operation day, driven in or taken in, because you can't safely get yourself home afterwards. You check in, go in back when your name is called like any other appointment. Then you get a little area and strip and put on a hospital gown. After this nurses come and prep you. For me one took my vitals and quizzed me on my medications while the other prepared my catheter. It hurt surprisingly little, a little pinprick then a very odd sensation in my hand of a foreign weight. I had them wrap it up because I have an irrational fear of foreign objects in my body. I didn't notice it after the first five minutes as a result. After this it's more waiting, then they roll you in and ask you more questions about your drugs and if you consent to anesthesia (in America you sign at this point) They plug the drugs into your catheter and you forget everything. You "wake up" and get a rambling speech by your scopist and some pictures of your colon and stomach to remember the fun you two had together.
Orchid, I'm actually going to be awake for mine and they're just giving me some Ativan or Valium I believe. But the rest of it sounds right to me, however I'll see the images during the procedure haha.

Twilight anesthesia means they pump you full of painkillers and drugs intended to disrupt your running memory but you're still awake and somewhat functional. It's comparable to being insanely drunk.

Twilight anesthesia means they pump you full of painkillers and drugs intended to disrupt your running memory but you're still awake and somewhat functional. It's comparable to being insanely drunk.
No, I don't think she's giving me that much meds and I know what the twilight sleep is. Haha insanely drunk.

I,m awake and just have painkillers it's a bizarre experience if you,ve never been done before.i found the endoscopy very strange a camera down your throat and you breath with no bother there seemed so much in me I don,t know how it didn't,t poke out the bottom!the prep is the worst part the actual procedure is over quickly.all the best

Hello Jboy, I am now prepping for my colonoscopy which is on saturday. I started my low fibre diet today and drinking lots of water. I do my 'proper prep' on Friday which I am not looking forward to but I am looking forward to watching some dvds and catching up on my tv planner (when I am not on the toilet!)

Does everyone get a catheter? I didnt know this!

Well it's not like you can orally take drugs for the operation. Maybe they use a simple IV if it's not twilight anesthesia that requires maintenance?

Hello Jboy, I am now prepping for my colonoscopy which is on saturday. I started my low fibre diet today and drinking lots of water. I do my 'proper prep' on Friday which I am not looking forward to but I am looking forward to watching some dvds and catching up on my tv planner (when I am not on the toilet!)

Does everyone get a catheter? I didnt know this!
again, US perspective... but got IV with meds that knocked me out... didn't know what was going on. the prep is the worst -- good luck!

Thanks everyone for your support and responses! :)
I'm on my low fibre diet (started yesterday) and I have to do the laxative prep tomorrow, don't think that's going to be fun lol. Suzi, same here! We're prepping in the same week, what are the odds?
Orchid, I'm not entirely sure what they're giving me. The docs office called today for a confirmation of my appt but I wasn't around to answer the call, otherwise I would have asked.

I know only a day apart! How are u findig the low fibre diet? I've been drinking loads of water to try and fill me up, had white toast this morning and some white pasta for dinner. I'm scared incase I eat something wrong as I don't want to go back for another colonoscopy. I bought some straws and lemon diluting juice for the 4 litres of 'juice' I need to drink on Friday :( dreading it!!

I know only a day apart! How are u findig the low fibre diet? I've been drinking loads of water to try and fill me up, had white toast this morning and some white pasta for dinner. I'm scared incase I eat something wrong as I don't want to go back for another colonoscopy. I bought some straws and lemon diluting juice for the 4 litres of 'juice' I need to drink on Friday :( dreading it!!
Suzi, the low fibre diet was super easy for me actually! I was really careful, but then today they told me the prep was incomplete since the colon was completely cleansed.. however I have now been diagnosed with IBS, GERD and internal hemmorhoids. No Crohn's or Colitis for me! :)
The prep laxatives were just evil lol, tasted like the worst thing you can imagine.
Thank you everyone for your support here too.

You're going to have more colonoscopies in the future if other stories here are any indication. So next time when you're drinking prep, I'd suggest you use a straw. It helps a lot with the taste.

Jboy what do u meant the test was incomplete? I am so happy for your diagnosis :) you must be delighted not to have ibd woo.

I did my prep yesterday it was so rank - drank it with a straw, held my nose,added lemon juice to it. Nothing helped! But I finished it and today I have my colonoscopy. How did u find the procedure? x

Jboy what do u meant the test was incomplete? I am so happy for your diagnosis :) you must be delighted not to have ibd woo.

I did my prep yesterday it was so rank - drank it with a straw, held my nose,added lemon juice to it. Nothing helped! But I finished it and today I have my colonoscopy. How did u find the procedure? x
I am really happy!
Well the gastroenterologist said my colon wasn't fully cleaned out, which doesn't make sense since I followed all the instructions fully.. maybe there's a slight chance I could still have Colitis but I doubt it.
Oh the prep is just evil, drinking it was probably the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life. The procedure was painless and really simple, I hardly remember any of it.. they really drug you up lol, at least here in Canada.

Jboy have you had any other tests? Crohn's can often lurk in the small bowel, which is very very long, and both scopes can only peek into either end.

You mentioned passing blood in another post which is not a sign of IBS at all. With a symptom like that normal scopes really aren't enough to rule out IBD and dx IBS in my view.

You absolutely need a capsule endoscopy if you're passing blood and there's no signs of damage in the colon or terminal ileum. IBS doesn't make you bleed.

Jboy have you had any other tests? Crohn's can often lurk in the small bowel, which is very very long, and both scopes can only peek into either end.

You mentioned passing blood in another post which is not a sign of IBS at all. With a symptom like that normal scopes really aren't enough to rule out IBD and dx IBS in my view.
Hey Stargirlll.
I've had an ultrasound and numerous stool tests, nothing of concern came from those. That's what I'm wondering, if there is Crohn's but it's hidden.. over the past couple days, I'm starting to think I was misdiagnosed. The GI found hemorrhoids though and said that would have caused my bleeding, however they're just small.

You absolutely need a capsule endoscopy if you're passing blood and there's no signs of damage in the colon or terminal ileum. IBS doesn't make you bleed.
Orchid, yeah that's what I'm wondering too.. however I was dx with some hemorrhoids too so I don't know if those would cause the amounts of blood that comes out.