• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Endoscopy

endoscopy

Hi everyone,

I had an endoscopy yesterday and was diagnosed with GERD. I was wondering if anyone else experienced pain and irritation after their scope? It feels like heartburn so I don't know if it's the GERD but it also feels like when I eat that i'm swallowing glass. Is this just the GERD or could my esphogus and stomach be extra irritated from the scope?

Thanks

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I dunno, could be irritation and GERD. I have an endoscopy today in a couple hours so I'll let you know if I experience anything like that.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI Lauren I had a couple of endoscopies but never had the pain you are experiencing. I have a Hiatus Hernia and that causes more pain then anything else. Nexium is usually the choice of meds but any antacid is a bone eater and need to up your Calcium intake. Vitamin D3 absorbs it better too. It could be hurting you more because your Gerd is active, I don't know. Some have a higher pain tolerance than others. Hope you get some relief, it will go away. :hang:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
OK, test is all over with and I ate a simple sandwich. Two slices of bread, two pieces of turkey and mayo and mustard. When I swallowed, it did hurt a little. Kind of felt like heart burn with that slightly broken glass feeling. I only feel that way when I eat though. We'll see if it still hurts tomorrow. So yes, it could very well be from the endoscopy.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ok, today is the day after my endoscopy and I am having pain without eating (I think its gas, just these little burps yet they cause a lot of pain for such a tiny thing). It does feel like heartburn and does suck. I can imagine that its going to hurt when I eat today too.

yes I had heartburn feeling for a couple of days after I think it was a bit of inflammation after the biopsies but it soon went away.

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better now, dare I say, normal?? I finally feel like the meds are working, my appetite is back and I am finally enjoying eating food again. I couldn't be happier :)