• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Enema tips needed. (pun not originally intended)

Hi guys.

I am starting a mesalamine enema. There were no detailed instructions. I mean there should be drawings! Im think I'm doing it wrong. I cannot get a third of the bottle in before it starts seeping out, even when I wait many seconds before re-trying. Also I get nervous about releasing pressure while the tip is still in place.

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

Sorry I can't help but I hope it works for you - once you have figured out how to put the stuff in and keep it in.
I think you have to hand upside down like a bat for 12 hours.

Try different positions. Lying on left side, on back with knees to chest or on hands and knees with arms on floor in front,head down ( that was a bad description, sorry) If you have to, insert half, remov slightly (not entirely out) then reinsert. I would reccomend staying in a lying down position for a bit before getting up and doing something or going to bed. Lying near a toliet can provide reassurance on what if you need to go, as can put paper towel under you. Good luck!