• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entocort tapering side effects

Hi,

I managed to find a few threads about the problems tapering off Entocort - tired, depressed, emotional, bloated uncomfortable etc. I have gone to 3 mg last week and feel like a truck hit me.

So how long am I going to put up with these symptoms before my body adjusts?

Some of the people were told to go back up to 6 mg and then try tapering more later. I just want to be off of it( am now using Remicade) and get over this while on medical leave so that once I go back I'm good to work without problems.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks Kelley:rosette2::canada_flag

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'd contact your GI and let them know that you're having these symptoms. I was never tapered off of Entocort and was able to quit with no issues at all as it doesn't affect you as much as Prednisone but if you've been on it long term then you may experience the same problems as you would if you were coming off Prednisone

"Adrenal suppression. When Entocort EC is taken for a long period of time (chronic use), adrenal suppression can happen. This is a condition in which the adrenal glands do not make enough steroid hormones. Symptoms of adrenal suppression include: tiredness, weakness, nausea and vomiting and low blood pressure. Tell your healthcare provider if you are under stress or have any symptoms of adrenal suppression during treatment with Entocort EC." http://www.drugs.com/pro/entocort-ec.html

Thanks Crabby.

I did some reading and I think alot of my symptoms are probalby related to this. Especially the memory and confusion issues. It seems like adrenal suppression is a known side effect of long term use of steroids - I've been on Entocort for 8 months now - so I don't understand why she wouldn't have planned for this.

I will be calling the GI in the morning to see if anything can be done before I see her on the 16th.