• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entocort

Hello everyone! I'm 14 (turning 15) and I haven't grown since the sixth grade. I'm in grade nine which happens to be in high school in my town. I absolutely hate my body and want to grow so bad! I was diagnosed with moderate to severe Crohn's disease last June on the last day of school. I had 4 iron infusions as I was a very severe anemic. I tried EEN with Ensure and it did nothing except make me miserable so I was put on Remicade. It really cleared up all my noticeable symptoms. I've been getting remicade every 4 weeks. I also take Imuran and iron everyday. I took prednisone in November to calm inflammation as my blood markers were still high. It worked well but I hated the moon face so much!! I'm really small (as random strangers in public and even nurses like to point out all the time) and the moon face made me hate myself even more. I just had midterms and am experiencing a flare and was put on asacol. (I had a check up colonoscopy in January and my large colon was inflamed and had ulcers.) The asacol isn't doing much and I'm told I need to go on prednisone again. I can't do it and won't do it so I've been researching other steroids that help. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with Entocort and if they think it will help me? I've heard it has way less side effects and am aware that orally, it's used to treat the small intestine. But luckily, there is such a thing as budesonide foam or enema and I would appreciate any replies of experiences about those as well. Thanks!

Welcome. I am sorry for what you are going through but uoiu have found a goof group to come to. I am on entocort for the second time. I don't think it is as bad as prednisone but it foes give you the munchies. Wishing you the best.

I took Entocort for a couple months. It took a little bit of time to work, but it helped my symptoms greatly and I didn't have any side effects.

I took Entocort for a couple months. It took a little bit of time to work, but it helped my symptoms greatly and I didn't have any side effects.
Thanks for the reply! How long did it take to start working? My doctor said I can try it (yay!) but it has to start working in 3-4 days!

Scipio

For me budesonide took about week to a week and half to really start working. I had no noticeable side effects with oral budesonide.

Make sure you take it first thing in the morning. If you take it later in the day or in the evening it could give you insomnia or otherwise disturb your sleep.

For me budesonide took about week to a week and half to really start working. I had no noticeable side effects with oral budesonide.

Make sure you take it first thing in the morning. If you take it later in the day or in the evening it could give you insomnia or otherwise disturb your sleep.
Thanks for the advice about in the morning.

I started taking Entocort in December-- my first time on oral steroids in the 10 years since my diagnosis. I was really afraid to start and resisted it for awhile because of all the bad things I'd heard about prednisone. Now I wish I had started it a lot sooner! I was in a pretty bad flare for almost a year and Entocort seemed to normalize things after a week or so. I agree about taking it in the morning. I haven't experienced any major side effects.

Thanks for the reply! How long did it take to start working? My doctor said I can try it (yay!) but it has to start working in 3-4 days!
It took about a week and a half for me to really notice a reduction in my symptoms. But everyone is different! I hope it works for you.

I'm on it and don't notice any side effects, not even weight gain. I still have multiple soft BMs daily and rumbling tummy, but feel great!