• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entyvio and a biologic?

nogutsnoglory

Is anyone on both Entyvio and a biologic like Remicade or Humira? I don't think they are contraindicated but not certain. Is this considered safe or wise? Is it just till the entyvio works or will you remain on both?

Trying to weigh all my options.

My GI actually brought that up last month...Not ready to even consider it. If I remember correctly, it was going to be for a short while. But he is insisting I take Humira and Imuran together, which terrifies me as well. My immune system is already shot since I have been back to work (I teach first grade.) Feels like I have been at it all school year and we are in the sixth week. :/

nogutsnoglory

Aw, I feel you! I don't feel well on the immunomodulators but the biologics don't suppress me as much. Entyvio doesn't suppress TNF though so not sure how that works.

Its mentioned in the Vedo warnings insert... in the drug interaction part

"Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with vedolizumab. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:

Adalimumab, certolizumab, etanercept, golimumab, infliximab, or natalizumab because the risk of infection may be increased."

Maybe they just think it will lower your immune system too much

nogutsnoglory

Well that doesn't mean they can't prescribe both, it just means they both suppress but many times 6mp/mtx/imuran is coupled with a biologic and both suppress so it may be a warning but not necessarily contraindicated.