• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entyvio and the immune system

Entyvio works differently than other biologics by focusing specifically on the GI tract. It prevents an excess of white blood cells from entering into the GI tract.

Does it mean that the chances of getting an infection while taking it are smaller than when taking other types of biologics? The Entyvio website gives the regular warning under the safety information:

ENTYVIO may increase your risk of getting a serious infection. Before receiving and during treatment with ENTYVIO, tell your healthcare provider if you think you have an infection or symptoms of an infection, such as fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, shortness of breath, runny nose, sore throat, red or painful skin or sores on your body, tiredness, or pain during urination.
Since it works by only targeting the immune system response in the GI tract, does it also lower the overall ability of the immune system to fight infections like the other biologics?

I don't have all of the answers. But antidotally, I have gotten sick much less on Entyvio than I had on Humira. (I am a teacher and am exposed to things a lot.) Entyvio has changed my life in the 7 months I've been on it. I'm not sure about risk of more serious illnesses. I hope you figure out what works best for you soon.

I was on Humira for 6 years and now Entyvio for 1. My sickness levels were / are good with each med.

But Humira significantly increased a psoriasis condition that wasn't much before it. That condition significantly dropped when I stopped using it.

crohnsinct

My daughter's GI said the data points to much fewer infections because it is so gut specific. My daughter did great on Remicade and Entyvio (infection wise). Ironically she got mono while on Entyvio but she was in an awful flare at that time so that probably had more to do with it.

Entyvio works differently than other biologics by focusing specifically on the GI tract. It prevents an excess of white blood cells from entering into the GI tract.

Does it mean that the chances of getting an infection while taking it are smaller than when taking other types of biologics? The Entyvio website gives the regular warning under the safety information:

Since it works by only targeting the immune system response in the GI tract, does it also lower the overall ability of the immune system to fight infections like the other biologics?

That's a good question. Perhaps someone already on Entyvio long term can answer that question for us?