• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entyvio vs Humira

Hello All!

So my husband finally saw his new GI doc (thank the lord) and they are recommending either humira or entyvio. Feedback and experiences for both please! Thank you!

My son's experience: anti-TNF (Remicade, which acts similar to Humira) made things worse, may have increased inflammation, had some bad side effects. Entyvio: may or may not have helped a little bit, had milder side effects.

My son's experience: anti-TNF (Remicade, which acts similar to Humira) made things worse, may have increased inflammation, had some bad side effects. Entyvio: may or may not have helped a little bit, had milder side effects.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Has he found something to work yet?

my little penguin

Staff member
Entyvio takes a long time to work
Humira takes 3 months
My kiddo so far has been
on remicade (8 months -allergic reaction due to mouse protein it’s based on )
On humira over 5 plus years with pristine scopes (no issues at all )
Now on Stelara 4 plus years -no issues

so everyone unfortunately is different

entyvio works better on the colon -not so good on the small intestine
Stelara better on the small intestine but not the colon as well
Both Stelara and entyvio takes forever to work
Stelara takes 6-8 months
Entyvio up to a year

entyvio targets just the gut (colon )
But has caused joint pain in some (but keep in mind arthritis tends to show up with crohns and humira /remicade treat arthritis as well -so some folks may not have known they needed it )

Entyvio takes a long time to work
Humira takes 3 months
My kiddo so far has been
on remicade (8 months -allergic reaction due to mouse protein it’s based on )
On humira over 5 plus years with pristine scopes (no issues at all )
Now on Stelara 4 plus years -no issues

so everyone unfortunately is different

entyvio works better on the colon -not so good on the small intestine
Stelara better on the small intestine but not the colon as well
Both Stelara and entyvio takes forever to work
Stelara takes 6-8 months
Entyvio up to a year

entyvio targets just the gut (colon )
But has caused joint pain in some (but keep in mind arthritis tends to show up with crohns and humira /remicade treat arthritis as well -so some folks may not have known they needed it )
Thanks! Did you notice any difference in him getting sick more often with Humira vs Entyvio? His doc likes the fact that entyvio is gut specific for that reason but said she was ok with him doing Humira too! He has to stay on 6mp for 6 months as a bridge drug no matter what he does unfortunately but it beats the heck out of 3 years his former doc said he had to do. 🤦‍♀️ and we can't jump to Stelara yet, insurance won't let him without doing one of the other 2 first.

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo never was on entyvio
But if your husbands terminal illeum is involved then humira covers that area not entyvio
Entivyio only treats the large intestine (transverse colon ,ascending colon,descending colon ,sigmoid colon and rectum )
It does not treat the terminal illeum and small intestine

humira treats all of the Gi tract

my kiddo was not sick anymore than my other non ibd kiddo
This was from 2nd grade through eight grade — he was on anti tnf. (Remicade and humira )

But if your husbands terminal illeum is involved then humira covers that area not entyvio
Entivyio only treats the large intestine (transverse colon ,ascending colon,descending colon ,sigmoid colon and rectum )

This was from 2nd grade through eight grade — he was on anti tnf. (Remicade and humira )
Ok thanks!

Do you know why she would push Entyvio? His is limited to his terminal ileum. And she's a highly regarded GI that's associated with a university. She seeks very confident in Entyvio working.

my little penguin

Staff member
I only know in pediatric Gi
They do not use entyvio if disease is in terminal illeum
They would use humira first
Please get a second opinion at another university based hospital

I only know in pediatric Gi
They do not use entyvio if disease is in terminal illeum
They would use humira first
Please get a second opinion at another university based hospital
She is our 2nd opinion 🤦‍♀️ and she has a doc above her (she's an NP) who teaches at the University here (it's a decent size medical based University too) and sits on the board of gastroenterology there who also is recommending Entyvio first but is also ok with Humira if that's what we choose to do. We have over the weekend to decide as they have to run labs regardless of what we choose. We are torn and I'm the researcher, hubs pretty much does whatever doc says to. Men! 🤣 just kidding. No I'm the science lover and he's not is why. As I said (I think anyway, maybe I didn't) they are cool with Humira but she said she likes the less side effects of entyvio and it being every 8 weeks. She said of course she'd love to just do Stelara but insurance says no, he has to fail a couple others first. We had our mind made up about Humira until they mentioned Entyvio, we questioned its effectiveness and she said it's most recent studies show it is effective for Crohns in the T.I. just not as well as Stelara but we can't do much about that right now anyway. Ugh frustrating disease. Thanks for your feedback as always!

Given the choice, I'd certainly go with Entyvio. It's not nearly as dangerous.

Also, in my reading of the studies it seems that Entyvio does work for small bowel Crohn's and there's not even a large difference in efficacy depending on location. I would not avoid Entyvio simply because the problem is mostly in the ileum.

Post-surgery, Stelara is working great.

Given the choice, I'd certainly go with Entyvio. It's not nearly as dangerous.

Also, in my reading of the studies it seems that Entyvio does work for small bowel Crohn's and there's not even a large difference in efficacy depending on location. I would not avoid Entyvio simply because the problem is mostly in the ileum.

Post-surgery, Stelara is working great.
Thank you so much! And I'm glad things are going well now! I hope it continues to 🙂

my little penguin

Staff member
You only saw an NP not a Gi ???
You need to be specific when you schedule
And state you want an appt with the attending GI
Not a fellow
Not an Np
Not a PA

I have been at this for over 10 years now
Your DH needs to see an actual GI
And yes entyvio does not treat the terminal illeum so it’s left to fester with inflammation

Results showed that a greater percentage of participants treated with Entyvio compared to a placebo achieved and maintained clinical response, achieved and maintained clinical remission, achieved corticosteroid-free clinical remission, and as seen during endoscopy, had improved appearance of the colon."6
Just the colon
It’s very effective in UC not crohns

Again I know others who had to add meds to entyvio to treat the terminal illeum

not worth it imo if you have a choice

humira and Remicade have been around for decades with an excellent safety profile
Yes some folks have had a bad experience
However that is true of any drug
Infant Tylenol can cause death /liver failure
If you fall on the small percentage that happens too
That’s horrible
But worth the risk to most docs
Since the majority it helps
Same with theses drugs

Not a fellow
Not an Np
Not a PA

And yes entyvio does not treat the terminal illeum so it’s left to fester with inflammation

Just the colon

humira and Remicade have been around for decades with an excellent safety profile
That’s horrible
Same with theses drugs
I am specific when I make appointments and Maybe it's different where you live but here you normally always start off seeing NP with open communication with the GI and then see him for all procedures and once or twice a year or if anything happens. He is seeing thr actually GI in 6 weeks for a follow up. Our NP's at the gastroenterology office are extremely capable and have years of experience. Most of our actual GI's here are either in procedures, teaching or surgery or with more critical patients. And I can say I feel this is normal as I've been the one pretty much scheduling everything and in communication with his docs for over 6 years and this is our 2nd GI office. And my father has Celiacs and lives a couple hours away in a larger city with an even bigger university hospital and he has the same experience with NP's. As does my husband's aunt who has Crohns and has for 18 years, she always sees an NP and then GI for procedures, once or twice a year or if there's issues and she goes to a different office than us. But like I said, could be where we live. I appreciate the info and I'll read it.

Not a fellow
Not an Np
Not a PA

Just the colon

That’s horrible
Same with theses drugs
And as I said we aren't against humira at all, actually leaning towards it, I'm just looking for info. I've got a long weekend of reading ahead of me.

Here's a recent small study comparing the two. Results were similar. I'd take the safer one.

"In a real-world cohort of bio-naive UC patients, VDZ was superior to ADM in achieving endoscopic remission at W52, while in bio-naive CD patients VDZ and ADM resulted in similar endoscopic outcomes."

Here's a recent small study comparing the two. Results were similar. I'd take the safer one.

"In a real-world cohort of bio-naive UC patients, VDZ was superior to ADM in achieving endoscopic remission at W52, while in bio-naive CD patients VDZ and ADM resulted in similar endoscopic outcomes."
Thank you so much! I'll read the info. I appreciate it