• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

ESR up CRP down

I got results today from the bloodwork that I had done on Tuesday. I didn't expect my numbers to be within range as 2 weeks ago, my numbers were elevated. However, I didn't think that my ESR would almost double at the same time that CRP went down. I am not experiencing abdominal pains so I am at a loss to what is the cause.
These are my results:
Blood drawn on 1/22
ESR 28 (0-20)
CRP 1.6 (<.8)
Blood drawn on 2/5
ESR 51 (0-20)
CRP 1.3 (<.8)

Thanks.

Catherine

ESR and C-reactive protein (CRP) are both markers of inflammation. Generally, ESR does not change as rapidly as does CRP, either at the start of inflammation or as it goes away. CRP is not affected by as many other factors as is ESR, making it a better marker of inflammation. However, because ESR is an easily performed test, many doctors still use ESR as an initial test when they think a patient has inflammation.

labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/esr/tab/test