• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Esr

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
I'm slightly confused about what the ESR on blood tests actually are.

I know my ESR is 35/11 which is higher than it should be and it's not going down, but lots of different people are telling me different things about what it is.

Does it prove anything or should it just be ignored? What does it even mean?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
ESR and CRP are both markers for acute inflammation in the body.

CRP directly measures C Reactive Protein whereas ESR measures many proteins and there are more influences on the result. C Reactive Protein is one the main plasma proteins released during inflammation so is a better indicator of initial inflammation and and as it subsides, that is why CRP is used as a indicator of response to treatment.

ESR is still a better indicator of some inflammatory disease processes like Arthritis but not necessarily for IBD. Many doctors still use ESR as an initial test when they think someone may have inflammation present.

Dusty. xxx

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
So does my high ESR show that something is wrong in my body or not? The doctors have mentioned it being high and it shows inflammation but then still tell me it's all psychological.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Yes, a high ESR does indicate you have inflammation somewhere in your body. Have you had this test done more than once?

Dusty. xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Okay, so definitely not a one off then. It is raised for a reason then and to say it's all in your head is rubbish, unless you possess some powers I don't know about! :wink:

I know it's hard hun but keep onto to them and try not to let them get to you...:hug:

Dusty. xxx

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
I went to the doctors this morning and have asked for another blood test to see if anything has changed in three months. :) Thanks Dusty. x

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Hi tlc-x,
I am so sorry you are having trouble with your health. I completely understand how frustrating it can be to have health problems and you feel awful but the doctors make it worse by saying "it is all in your head" or "there is nothing wrong with you".

First, let me translate that doctor-speak for you:
1. If the doctor says, "it is all in your head"
The doctor actually means, "I don't know."

2. If you feel cruddy and the doctor says, "there is nothing wrong with you".
The doctor-speak translation is, "I dont know."

Unfortunately there is a predominance of doctors that are unwilling or are unable to see those three little words "I dont know." And, I think I have met all of them (partially kidding). Do not fret too much because the doctors that are willing to work with you are out there. My current physician will not only say "I dont know" but will follow it up with ".... but let's find out." He will then proceed to get out a book and look it up. The first time I saw him do this I know I just sat there with my mouth agape... staring.....

Do not ever let your doctor convince you that your pain, or any of your symptoms are "in your head". Seriously, are you really going to take time out of your day plus pay the doctor visit fees just because you have nothing better to do? I also agree with DustyKat that you must have special powers to tweak your test results like that and if this is the case you should use your special powers for something more productive like world peace.

Regarding your doctor's comment that your symptoms are due to depression..... excuse my language but that is horse-sh&!. I have been told the same thing time and time again and it never ceases to drive me nuts. It is a well-studied phenomenon that chronic pain, and chronic illnesses will both cause depressive symptoms.... not the other way around. Of course you are depressed because you have been feeling like crud for (insert period of time here)..... and on top of everything your doctor (aka the person who is supposed to make you feel better) does not take you seriously and simply takes your doctor office fees and sends you on your merry little way.

Tlc-x, I take you seriously and understand the frustration you are going through..... I am pretty sure this entire forum does. I wish I could make you feel better physically but I cant. Just know that I know what you are going through and I feel for you.
Please feel better soon.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Judith is so right Tash. :hug:

I can't even begin to imagine what it is like to be systematically told that what you are feeling and living isn't real. :( Although not the same I had the same feelings of being undermined and frustrated when Matt presented to hospital last year. If I was told once I was told a hundred times, "He is a very sick boy you know". Well duh, I took him there. I knew what they were implying, he couldn't possibly be that sick and it only show up overnight, therefore I must have been sitting on it for quite some time. I bided my time and got my own back in the end but I was mightily pissed in the meantime!

I can laugh now but I wasn't happy at the time. I hope some day you will be able to look back and have a little laugh at some of the things that have been said to you but I know now isn't the time.

:hang: Tash, for one so young you are handling things wonderfully well. Kudos to you!

Dusty. xxx