• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Essential Oil Use

I am new to this forum. I do not suffer from Crohn's but my boyfriend does. He was diagnosed about 10 years ago. He takes some prescription medications and for the most part does well with them. He does have flare ups during stressful times in his life. The flare ups distress him and the cycle continues. We are wanting to search for some holistic or more natural items to use also. We are really interested in hearing from others who have had success using essential oils. Don't try to sell me your brand of essential oil. I don't necessarily want a sales pitch but to hear from others who have used therapeutic oils. What kinds are used, how are you using them etc.? Do you apply topically to your feet with a carrier oil?

Thank you!

Last edited:

fuzzy butterfly

Hi i have not used oils. So cant comment on that, but i can recommend chamomile tea as a de stresser,calmer. It also is supposed to help with inflamation. If my memory serves me well. Maybe have a google n check it out. Best wishes 💟

David

Co-Founder
I can't comment on his essential oil use. However, would you like to share what meds he is on, what supplements he takes, and what his symptoms are? Some of us may be able to offer some perspective there to help reduce those flareups.

I used to be into essential oils. Not for actual therapeutic use but more for relaxation. Used to put some in a little burner for nice smells around the house (make sure they don't burn dry) and also mixed some with grape seed oil to rub on... that was mainly because I love the smell of sandlewood and I used it instead of a cologne. Reflexologists use essential oils, so you may want to check some out.
Personally, I don't think it would replace my usual medication, but if it makes you feel better about yourself then it's worth trying.

A friend of mine gave me some samples of essential oil pills which are a blend of Ginger, Peppermint, Tarragon, Fennel, Caraway, Coriander, and Anise essential oils. I have found them very useful if I take one right as I feel my stomach churning into a potential flare. They seem to calm my system but they do make me burp a lot. (You said not to sell a product, so I won't, but if you want to know where you can get this blend, just ask) I also take pure peppermint capsules on the occasion. Teas work just as well. I drink a lot of tea, the warmth soothes my tummy. Ginger or peppermint, or chai, as it has lots of anti inflammatory spices.

And on the subject of tea, I also drink chaga mushroom tea, which helps the cells in the body repair themselves and is known to greatly reduce tumour growth in cancer patients, but also reduces inflammation. Mixed with Ceylon cinnamon "true cinnamon"(not what you get from the grocery store) which also has excellent anti inflammatory properties, it is delicious and very soothing. You have to be careful when taking chaga, as it requires a digestive enzyme to properly break it down which not everyone has. So either talk to your doctor first to check if you have the enzyme or limit your use to a few days at a time with a few days of not drinking it, because constant use can be dangerous for the liver.