• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Essential Oils???

I am curious to see if anyone has tried essential oils/diffuser to see if it helps with the digestive system. I have a good friend that uses it for everything, literally, and loves it! She has a child with other concerns than of IBD, and swears by the positives of the oils. Just looking to see if alternative options have been helpful before I discuss this option with my GI. I take so many different medicines (Crohns-Colitis, diabetes, thyroid, hormonal relacement, BP, and so on...) that I am always hesitant to try any options not monitored by my team of drs.

Scipio

I haven't heard that essential oils themselves are harmful, but there is no clinical trial evidence and very little evidence of any kind beyond testimonials that they actually help - especially with serious diseases like IBD. So go ahead and use the oils if they help you feel better, but do not neglect the proven medicines that your GI prescribes for you.