• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Euthanasia

Hi All,
I happened to have watched a documentary about euthanasia in Switzerland recently and it struck me that I would probably take this route should my quality of life drop to a level that I considered unsustainable.

Would anyone else take this option as well?

Something to think about.

Hi All,
I happened to have watched a documentary about euthanasia in Switzerland recently and it struck me that I would probably take this route should my quality of life drop to a level that I considered unsustainable.

Would anyone else take this option as well?

Something to think about.
I absolutely would consider it and want to have the choice which we don't have yet here. Thankfully the discussion is being had currently.

My MIL (in Europe) chose euthanasia and was very happy that she had the option.

cmack

Staff member
I would be stubborn and fight my hardest, toe to toe, till the end. I've cheated death more times than I can count and I don't plan on letting my life go until something beats me to utter shreds. So long as I have one eye and a half a brain that works I can still watch hockey, that's good enough for me! My good friend killed himself when he was 19, and our high school exchange student from Denmark did the same thing in her late teens, both because they had Crohn's. They hurt a lot of people, including me in doing so. Many of the loved ones left behind will never be the same from the grief they experienced. Some are even angry. I really think that had either one of them sought professional help, they would likely still be here. I hope you find a better option. No offense intended, just my opinion and experiences.

I have endured some very serious health problems and heartaches, as have plenty of others. The problems lasted for years at a time for me, and I'm glad to say that I have made it to the other side of the dark and nasty inner storm caused by IBD. I just don't see death as a viable solution to the difficulties in my life. To me it's an oxymoron, really. I may not be in perfect health, or rich in material possessions, but I'm still here. For that I am very thankful.

Please don't confuse suicide with euthanasia.

I agree that suicide is awful especially for those left behind, and usually a very lonely thing. Euthanasia is anything but lonely. It is a very well considered choice for terminal people, overseen by professionals to make sure there is no coercion involved and the person is well informed and has considered all options. The euthanasia can then happen in a safe environment usually with family and close friends present. It can be a very special moment.

But the important thing is choice. I totally understand if it's not for you. I'm by no means sure that I would dare should the moment arise. But I would very much like the option.

Scipio

I'm a sort of determined optimist. I'm always confident that I can make a bad situation better. With enough knowledge, planning, and effort nearly all bad situations can be improved. Thus, I doubt that suicide/euthanasia would likely cross my mind. When my time is up I'll probably still be trying to figure out a solution right up to the end.

Bufford

Living with Crohn's and having experienced a near death encounter at the hospital after surgery when staff had to restart my heart with the thumper, I have become more determined than ever to get the most out of life. I'm a fighter, and I will not give up for life itself is both extremely fragile and valuable. Life has been an amazing experience and I have seen many things, and there are those yet to come. Death is no replacement for life.

cmack

Staff member
Please don't confuse suicide with euthanasia.

I agree that suicide is awful especially for those left behind, and usually a very lonely thing. Euthanasia is anything but lonely. It is a very well considered choice for terminal people, overseen by professionals to make sure there is no coercion involved and the person is well informed and has considered all options. The euthanasia can then happen in a safe environment usually with family and close friends present. It can be a very special moment.

But the important thing is choice. I totally understand if it's not for you. I'm by no means sure that I would dare should the moment arise. But I would very much like the option.

No, I don't have them confused. It's just that death in general greatly affects the remaining loved ones of the individual who passes away. In some cases everyone may agree to an end to the suffering and it could be more of a relief for all involved in that type of scenario. I understand why some people choose a dignified, expedited passing under certain circumstances and that is their decision, it's not for me to judge. It's just not something I ever plan to do that's all.

Euthanasia is legal in Canada, but only for terminally ill adults, not for long term disability. You might have problems finding a doctor as well. If I was terminal and suffering, I would probably ask for it, why suffer needlessly if you're going to die anyway.

Euthanasia in Canada in its legal voluntary form is called medically assisted dying (colloquially assisted suicide or death with dignity) and became legal as of June 2016 to end the suffering of terminally ill adults.

Strict laws govern access to legal assisted suicide in Canada. Medical assistance in dying is not available to minors, nor on the grounds of mental illness, long-term disability, or any curable condition. To prevent suicide tourism, it is available only to residents eligible for Canadian healthcare coverage. Advance directives are not allowed in Canada for voluntary euthanasia and patients can not arrange to consent "in advance" to dying later at the hands of a caregiver (such as in cases of dementia or Alzheimer's disease where patients may want to die after they reach an advanced state of mental decline).

Lynda Lynda

I dont know how to post a link here. An article from "The Telegraph" dated 2016..... "terminally ill child becomes first euthanized minor in Belgium."

Euthanasia is legal in Belgiun, Luxenborg, the Netherlands and Columbia.

In the USA see : Oregon, Vermont, and Washington regarding "lethal prescription."

Not sure this subject is good for a thread here. But I am new here.

Take Care. 🌻

Scipio

I dont know how to post a link here. An article from "The Telegraph" dated 2016..... "terminally ill child becomes first euthanized minor in Belgium."

Euthanasia is legal in Belgiun, Luxenborg, the Netherlands and Columbia.

In the USA see : Oregon, Vermont, and Washington regarding "lethal prescription."

Not sure this subject is good for a thread here. But I am new here.

Take Care. ��
Physician assisted death is also legal in California.