• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Everytime I eat I have to use the bathroom so I dont eat anymore

im not sure if its normal or not but i cant eat without having to use the bathroom multiple of times after eating. i dont know if this is a result of not right medication or because of diet. but im so desperate to the point that when I know im not going to be home for the day I do not eat. I can go 4+ days without eating because of this.
i am currently taking just remicade. i have had crohns for about 4 years. i talked to my family about it and they seem to think that inneed to be put on anxiety medication because they think anxiety is the trigger. i cant lead a normal life because i do not eat if i knownim doing something that day.
i currently just bought a bunch of supplements like marshmallow root, wormwood, turmeric, slipper elm and even peppermint oil but i have yet to try them.

is this normal? is it my medication? is it my diet? i dont follow any specific diet but am currently looking into SCD.

any tips would be greatly appericated.

It's not normal altairego. Remicade should have helped with those symptoms.... you should ask your doctor if it's the case to change medication or do something else.

In the mewntime you can try elemental diet ike modulen ibd. Your body need nutrition to heal.

There are no definitive proofs scd has efficacy alone with crohn's. I'd avoid it in your case as fibers could worsens symptoms during flares.

Have you had blood work or endoscopy recently? What were the results?
What does your doctor say?

I'm very sorry you are dealing with this and hope that you and your doctor can figure this out and improve your situation.

It's not normal altairego. Remicade should have helped with those symptoms.... you should ask your doctor if it's the case to change medication or do something else.

In the mewntime you can try elemental diet ike modulen ibd. Your body need nutrition to heal.

There are no definitive proofs scd has efficacy alone with crohn's. I'd avoid it in your case as fibers could worsens symptoms during flares.
So me needing to use for bathroom multiple of times after meals is not normal?? i keep telling myself that is the crohns but maybe I do need to change medications. I remember one point in my journey when I was taking mesameline and 6mp i feel as though my symptoms were better but I am not sure.

Have you had blood work or endoscopy recently? What were the results?
What does your doctor say?

I'm very sorry you are dealing with this and hope that you and your doctor can figure this out and improve your situation.

had a scope about a year ago and the doctor didnt really say anything. But with my luck he ended up relocating so for the moments I have not been to the doctor just receiving medication.
So those with crohns do you all eat publically without needing to use the bathroom constantly??

im not sure if its normal or not but i cant eat without having to use the bathroom multiple of times after eating. i dont know if this is a result of not right medication or because of diet. but im so desperate to the point that when I know im not going to be home for the day I do not eat. I can go 4+ days without eating because of this.
i am currently taking just remicade. i have had crohns for about 4 years. i talked to my family about it and they seem to think that inneed to be put on anxiety medication because they think anxiety is the trigger. i cant lead a normal life because i do not eat if i knownim doing something that day.
i currently just bought a bunch of supplements like marshmallow root, wormwood, turmeric, slipper elm and even peppermint oil but i have yet to try them.

is this normal? is it my medication? is it my diet? i dont follow any specific diet but am currently looking into SCD.

I had the same symptoms when I was first diagnosed and when I have activity and yes I stop eating while I am out. Elemental diet ( peptamine) helped me a lot. When I'm out for a long time especially when I'm at work I take my elemental with me. Please give it a try.

I had the same symptoms when I was first diagnosed and when I have activity and yes I stop eating while I am out. Elemental diet ( peptamine) helped me a lot. When I'm out for a long time especially when I'm at work I take my elemental with me. Please give it a try.
Ok. Thank you. Do you have to use the bathroom multiple of times while on that diet and are you still on it

While on elemental I don't have to use the bathroom multiple times. Started 4 years ago and still on it partially, meaning while I'm at work fir long hours or long travel or activity. Some doctors say it does not work for adults but it worked for me. when I started with full concentration I got diarrhea so I started with diluted formula first and increased concentration gradually.
Ok. Thank you. Do you have to use the bathroom multiple of times while on that diet and are you still on it

SCD is a great tool to work out what foods you should and shouldn't eat.
but it's not perfect.

There is a thread worth looking through.[1]

I'd recommend this, 10 minutes of you time.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaTFNAZs0Gk

and if it makes any sense here is an hour long interview...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Hsmhq73Uk
Hint, you don't need to buy the book,
and you don't need to buy his products,
but you can if you want.

-then look at SCD as a form of elimination diet (which it is)
rather than a proscriptive list of foods to obey (which it is too).

Without the elimination diet it is of limited help.[2]
An EN diet could also be a good introduction diet

And read up on other similar diets.....
Paleo, Perfect Health Diet, GAPS (they are all paleo-ish)

[1] SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support Group
https://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48313

[2] Properly Introducing New Foods on SCD
https://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/introducing-new-foods/

Last edited:
Thank you for the resources. I will try to see if these alters in diet will help anything. I am praying for days where i can eat publically.

Thank you for the resources. I will try to see if these alters in diet will help anything. I am praying for days where i can eat publically.
I think the response to changes in diet differ from one person to other but elemental formula works better . Please try elemental formula like peptamine ( Nestle) or X 28 ( Nutricia).

Altairego, I am going through the same thing right now. I can not make it out of a restaurant after a meal before having to go. I just started a mild flare up and have lost 13 lbs in 10 days. I have no desire at all to eat. It is depressing and of course you can drink as much water as possible and you still feel dehydrated. Your not alone