• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Excercise and Crohn's

Hey guys, I've been on medication for 7 weeks now for my recently diagnosed Crohn's. Now I'm a pretty tall guy 6"5 and over the summer I was losing weight due to the disease and I was hovering above 10st.(the nurse reckoned I should be at least 12 if not 13) Now I'm nearly back up towards 11 after two months of eating chocolate cake,ice cream,crips and all manner of beautifully indulgent food.

I'm getting to the point however where I feel like I should be preventing myself from becoming an odious blob - don't get me wrong I'm still skinny as a rake really but I want to make sure I feel good about my self image etc. So I was going to buy a new bike (my old one is battered from years of adolescent road trips) and start doing some cycling and also a bit of swimming in the evenings. Eventually i was going to start playing football again(soccer to our american friends - why,oh why can't you embrace the greatest sport on earth?).

So I was wondering how much excercise do most of you guys do? Is it possible to 'Lance Armstrong' this disease?

*Notice the use of the verb there to 'Lance Armstrong' - to overcome illness through physical activity/increased physical fitness.

Cheers guys

farm

Captain Insaneo
We did embrace the greatest sport on earth, and it's called Football! LOL
I get quite a bit of exercise each week and am able to ride and train my horses. I would guess it would be up to each individual case as to whether or not they can 'Lance' through. Good luck.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Hey, I love the whole "Lance Armstrong" thing!! LOL

I don't have any advice on this, as I'm trying to do the same thing. It's though when you're always exhausted, too.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for! (And I might sneak back on here and try to find some for myself)

I wouldn't go that far Peaches, I'd say only l was only covered against lightning.

Farm - what you call 'Football' I call 'futuristic rugby'. Actually I don't mind American Football its the baseball and the basketball I don't 'get'. Although through watching 'The Wire' the Baltimore Oreioles are my baseball team should the need for a team arise!Peaches, Soccer IS a girl's sport when you compare it to something like rugby or hockey but some of the gargoyles that play in my local soccer team would go beyond definition of any sex really they're definetly not girls, but 'men' I'm not so sure.'Ogres' is a better term.

Cycling and swimming seem pretty relaxed things to do, I can't see any problems there really. Maybe if I start playing 5 a side football again I may really start to feel the tiredness. I guess its a case of just getting the balance of pain and effort right. I don't want to tire my body out so much that its weakens my resolve against the disease.

I feel tired most of the time....but I still want to keep somewhat active when I can. The only problem seems to be the bad days keep me from doing what I would like. I am sure a lot of people on here can relate to that though. I love swimming....I go a few times a month for laps in the pool at my university. It used to be more regular but I do laps when I am up to it now. Wow I used to be sooooo active...There was a time in my life ( 3.5 years ago) when Spinning classes and the pool each week...riding a 7 seater bike through Manhattan NY for extra money after my Full time job and full time school used to be my weekly routine! Now its randomly doing the laps in the pool ( which I sleep for hours and hours after) and walking my dog down to the beach and part time school. One day, YES ONE DAY!!! I will be back to the amount of energy I had before!

Last edited:
Kuwabara said:
I wouldn't go that far Peaches, I'd say only l was only covered against lightning.

Farm - what you call 'Football' I call 'futuristic rugby'. Actually I don't mind American Football its the baseball and the basketball I don't 'get'. Although through watching 'The Wire' the Baltimore Oreioles are my baseball team should the need for a team arise!Peaches, Soccer IS a girl's sport when you compare it to something like rugby or hockey but some of the gargoyles that play in my local soccer team would go beyond definition of any sex really they're definetly not girls, but 'men' I'm not so sure.'Ogres' is a better term.

Cycling and swimming seem pretty relaxed things to do, I can't see any problems there really. Maybe if I start playing 5 a side football again I may really start to feel the tiredness. I guess its a case of just getting the balance of pain and effort right. I don't want to tire my body out so much that its weakens my resolve against the disease.
If the Orioles are your team, yeah, you're right.... you don't get it.

I've just recently gotten back to exercising again, after being terribly tired (and working too much) for way too long. It's really annoying, that whenever I start to feel it's time to go to the next level in the gym or work out class, something Crohn's-related happens that makes me unable to exercise for some time, and puts me back on square one again. But I'm the stubborn kind, maybe not Lance Armstrong but I'll do what I can to stay strong depsite this disease. :smile:

Yeah I find exercise helps me to stay feeling energised. I do find that after strenuous activity my tummy is a little irritated though but nothing too bad. I like to mix it up a bit gym, run, wakeboard or just getting active with things like golf etc

Whats with the poms calling soccer football anyway

Hi!
I tap dance 4 times a week. Not exactly a sport, but keeps me jumping and sweating for 1 hour each class. Train & compete in agility with my dog (now, that´s a sport!). Once in my life I´ve tried riding a horse but it was too painful (even in remission). Sometimes I get too tired to do anything besides working - these moments I have to listen to my body and stay in. But I feel the regular amount of light exercise makes me healthier/happier. At least it reduces my stress, which they say is a real harm.

AppleAdams - I know the Orioles are rubbish - I've got a sympathy for the underdog. I'm a Leeds United fan and we have always lived in the shadow of our Lancastrian neighbours Manchester United. It builds character supporting a losing team- that's my excuse anyway.

JennJenn - a 7 seater bike? jesus! Taxiing Americans around Manhatten? New Yorkers are a special breed arent they?

Bindy- The Poms call it football because it is a sport based around the kicking of a ball with the foot. We invented it before any of the other variations of 'football' came about just like we invented Cricket,Golf,Rugby,Tennis and many other sports. We gave you all this and what did the great country of Australia give us back - Crocadile Dundee and Mad Max.I've got a theory about Australia Bindy. Its such a nice country - amazingly beautiful and all that and you guys are like the Canadians you're all too happy enjoying life that you don't have the necessary angst to make great music,produce great authors etc. Whereas were all indoors enjoying 300 days of overcast grey sky and the Americans are just insane(in a good way). I do realize that that theory is probably a crock of poo.

Kuwabara said:
JennJenn - a 7 seater bike? jesus! Taxiing Americans around Manhatten? New Yorkers are a special breed arent they?

:lol: My uncle owned a lot of 7 seater bikes. Real name for them is the "conference bike". We called it the party bike and would stay in Times Square in Manhattan and give people tours on the bike! Everyone sits in a circle and everyone peddles. I am not super woman!! But it did take a lot of enegery to do it.

kuwabara- I do like your theory about the poms creating good things like music etc and I guess with all the sunshine we get we are too busy outdoors to focus too much (or we all just have ADHD or something). I agree that Americans are very wacky (again in a good way) and the poms just slide under the radar a little, and Canadians... arn't they just Americans... ha ha... just joking. Congrats also on having a drink.

Jenn- Those bikes look awesome, How does it feel living in what I presume is the greatest city in the world?

Right this is the theory Bindy..

The UK -The Beatles,The Rolling Stones,The Sex Pistols,The Clash,Queen,The Police,Joy Division,The Cure,Dire Straits,Coldplay,Radiohead,The Smiths,Led Zepplin,Black Sabbath,Iron Maiden,Elton John,David Bowie,The Who,The Kinks,Pink Floyd,Deep Purple,Motorhead,Def Leppard

Oz - Kylie,INXS,AC/DC.
Canada- Celine Dion,Bryan Adams,Nickelback,Neil Young

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ails-make-10-worlds-prosperous-countries.html

Canada 6th
Australia 7th in the properous countries index. In front of them are incredibly healthy but unbearable boring countries. The Swiss being the pick of them

"You know what the fellow said—in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."- The Third Man

Last edited:
i have been very inconsistent with my exercise ever since i began prednisone... now that i've been off of it and have become one of these 'blob' like beings that you speak of... i'm really wanting to get back into my workout routine consistently again.

while i've had the crohn's and while i've felt better, i haven't had any changes in my exercise routine, maybe that's bad... but i always do heavy cardio... stick to the treadmill, elliptical and floor exercises... between 1.5 - 2.5 hours, 5-6 days a week.

at times, i'd feel a lil bit of discomfort in my abs or ankles, but i kept going.

i feel like if it weren't for my exercise over the years, my crohn's would've been worse than it is (although it's still pretty darn bad)... but i mean, i can tolerate the pain a lot better than others have mentioned (e.g. i would still go to work while flaring)

i did notice that when my crohn's wasn't as controlled by the meds, at night i'd have an increase in anxiety like symptoms if i exercised in the evenings. i found out later in a ccfc presentation, that it's not good to work out more than 30 minutes in the evening because your body ends up going into stress mode at night.

Kuwabara- I do think you could have expanded the Oz music list a little... what about Bee Gees, Silverchair, John Butler Trio, Hoodoo Gurus, The Living End, The Veronicas, Powder Finger and lets not forget Savage Garden (as debatable as that is...not something us Aussies are proud of but we will take the credit where we can get it....I mean we do claim Russel to be ours)