• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exciting new vedolizumab injections!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi everyone

I've been on vedolizumab infusions for around 4 years with great success, but recently we were really concerned I'd have to stop treatment because my veins are so badly damaged from years of IVs. We were also concerned about me having trouble getting to appointments due to the current situation with covid (I'm not allowed on public transport).

In June this year, my team told me about exciting new vedolizumab injections that they were going to be offering some patients at my hospital. In August, they told me I was going to be the first to get them!

The injections are the same medication as the infusions, just a different dose, and are subcutaneous so can be self administered. I have now had 4 injections, they are every 2 weeks and my first one was 8 weeks after my last infusion. I'm pleased to report they are less painful than an IV and of course avoid the risk of being in a hospital at the moment. I've also noticed my symptoms have improved because I'm not crashing every 7 weeks like I was on the infusions.

The injections are now being rolled out UK wide and will hopefully be available in the wider world in the near future :).

my little penguin

Staff member
That is wonderful news .
Injections at home are soooo much easier on you and your veins
Ds was on humira injections for 5 years and Stelara injections now for the past three years
You can travel more (once covid is contained )
That’s great !!!

valleysangel92

Staff member
I was like a child at Christmas when my first ones were delivered. We're already planning a trip next October if it's safe, the possibilities are so exciting and it secures this treatment for as long as I can tolerate it. I honestly think this is life changing for so many patients.

Maya142

Staff member
That’s great!! I have also heard that they are making a subcutaneous form of Remicade, which would be so much more convenient.
My daughter’s veins are a disaster after so many years of blood draws, IVs from infusions, surgeries and hospitalizations. The specialized IV team couldn’t even get an IV in using ultrasound. So she ended up with a port, which we were dreading but is very convenient.

I’ve seen the Remicade sub q injection pens posted by a few people in the UK. I wonder how long before they make it over here?