• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exclusive enteral Nutrition

Hello My name is Stephanie, I am 24,
I have crohns disease, and gastroparesis. I am J tube fed, as of April 11th. Right now I am on Kate Farms Pediatric Peptide. I am interested in doing Exclusive enteral nutrition. To help control my crohns Disease. I was wondering for those of you who have tried EEN for to bring about remission, which formulas did you have most success with? I am currently also on Sulfazalazine twice per day, and am considering upping the dose and doing it more frequently.

Hi Stephanie,
I am sorry to hear that you are needing tube feeding. I used VivonexPlus and was on it for about four months exclusively (no food). Then I followed a very detailed food reintroduction/exclusion diet. My disease was in the terminal ileum and not full thickness. I stick to the diet that I ended up with after doing the food testing and I stay healthy. My understanding is that remission on EEN works best for disease that is in the small intestine, and not in the colon.

crohnsinct

My daughter has used EEN for colonic Crohn's and it worked great for her. Her friend who has UC also used EEN and it worked for her also. I would say it is worth a shot.

Most GI's will tell you the formula doesn't much matter. As long as you can absorb it.

Iam curious where in the world you are located. Sulfazalazine is not a drug typically used for Crohn's in the U.S. because of it's low success rate. It is used in U.C. though. Are you on any other drugs?

My daughter has used EEN for colonic Crohn's and it worked great for her. Her friend who has UC also used EEN and it worked for her also. I would say it is worth a shot.

Most GI's will tell you the formula doesn't much matter. As long as you can absorb it.

Iam curious where in the world you are located. Sulfazalazine is not a drug typically used for Crohn's in the U.S. because of it's low success rate. It is used in U.C. though. Are you on any other drugs?
Thanks for responding, I am from Wisconsin, USA. I told my GI that I wasn't going on biologics, nor 6MP due to my other health issues, and said I would go on sulfasalazine. I was on prednisone, at on point and Entivyo, but became allergic to it horribly, life threatening anaphylactic reactions.

Just wanted to clarify that EEN will not reduce inflammation in UC - it may make you feel better, and improve the nutritional status, but won't reduce inflammation as it does in CD. It's possible your friend actually had colonic CD which had potentially been initially misdiagnosed as UC.

I'm sorry that you ended up in such a situation and I hope you get well as soon as possible. In general, I was always afraid of ending up with a serious illness and for this reason, I always try to lead a healthy lifestyle. I pay a lot of attention to nutrition and every product is bought is of high quality. One of my favorite products is Bladderwrack, which is a type of brown seaweed that has been used in traditional medicine for centuries to treat an array of conditions. I found out about it from druggenius.com and I use it very often. Did you know about Bladderwrack?

Last edited: