• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exersise

G

GreggK547

I started working out about a year ago, since my last flare up, and i started feeling much better. I can eat almost anything i want to since this. Has this worked for anybody else?

Same thing happened to me. Once I started to work out and put physical stress on my body I have started to feel better.

Keep it up

S

scottishgirl

i was the opposite, i found excersise made me a bit worse, especially running or walking which sucks as i had the 5 dogs at one point and couldnt manage to take them walkies.
glad its helping you though x

V

Valentina

when I was flaring.. it made it worse. like Steph, going for walks was impossible for me. but I joined the gym anyways, and forced myself to do what I could, and eventually I did feel a lot better. not sure if it helped any crohns related issues or symptoms, but I find if the rest of my body if feeling as good as it can, fit etc.. it seems to help me focus on the crohns with a better attitude, instead of just wanting to curl up in a ball in front of the tv or stay in bed all day... and I think it also made it easier for my crohns to become more controlled.. my body didnt have to waste any energy on other parts. lol (not sure if that made any sense at all.. but in my mind its clear.. words arent my friend :) )

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Like the others...

When I am feeling good I found that it overall helped. But when I was feeling a bit off or totally in a flair then any exercise (even walking) would put a lot of stress on my body and make things worse.

For me it is after you go through a flare start to work out. I like bike riding and parkour to help me get better. But since I have started working out I have been flare free. One time I started to feel a flare coming on I worked out extra hard and the flare never came. I think that the mind though can contribute to a lot of things, including getting better. That is why I choose what I do to get better. While riding you put physical stress on your body but you also get a lot of alone time which to me makes me get better since I start to focus on my breathing and my mental state. Parkour also does that for me.(Parkour is moving around your environment like you were being chased so you run, vault, climb, and do whatever you can to get over every obstacle) The idea makes me think and therefore I feel good. It gives me a chance to get in touch with nature especially because I basically live in the forest.

I hope this helps

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Jeff D. said:
Parkour also does that for me.
Wow Jeff that is really cool. I have heard of this before, but never seen it or tried it. How did you get started with this? Is it something you just started trying one day?

J

Jenni

omgosh this is so hard! cuz the dr wouldnt let me do track because of my flairup but she thought pilates or yoga would be good. Im a black belt in karate and I am so focused and competitive in it for a really long time it was my life I ate breathed and slept karate. I was there everyday. but then I got to weak to do it and also I put so much pressure on my self for it it was making me sicker. grrr I miss the good old days. :( but im hoping that Post-Op i can get back into it majorly and pick up on my instructing again too.