• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Experiences with Asacol?

I know everyone's experiences are different and Asacol is a pretty mild drug in the scheme of things, but I was hoping folks who have taken it would chime in with their reactions to it.

I have heard it can cause mineral deficiencies and the like and want to be prepared for that sort of thing just in case.

Thanks!

Initially i was on it for a long time with no adverse reactions. I cant say whether it was effective on its own as administered with pred and azathioprine. I know it is thought much more effective for UC and less so for Crohns.

I would say it can be very effective and is low on the sides - i dont know of anyone whos had a bad reaction to it presumably because its a milder thing than say an immunosupressant or steroid.

Are you taking it orally - there are different preps depending on how its bound so that it targets different areas of the bowel and also then there are direct applications like enemas.

I took mesalazine 2g twice daily btw.

I was on it from Nov 2010 till Feb 2011, had no problems with it , found it worked quite well for the first 2 months , then after that it lost it affectivness for some reason. I was on Pred as well that whole time. When i was admitted to hospital whilst i was on asacol my folic acid was low and i was put on tablets but i couldn't say wether that was due to the Asacol or the fact that i had bad D as i was in quite a bad flare. Im now on Imuran and Pred.