• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Experiences with psyllium husk?

Phsyllium Husk?

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using Physillium husk. I was thinking about getting some organic physilluim husk and seeing if it would help with my intestinal pain.

I am undiagnosed as of now. My symptoms are as follows: Constant moderate to severe intestinal pain, intestinal cramping, feeling like I always gotta go to the toilet though I usually only go once a day. My bowels can be soft somedays and other days it is soft stool mixed with hard little pebbles. I probably would be going more except I usually am sitting all day with the heating pad due to all the pain and cramping I have. Diet has not helpd me at all. I have tried all different diets, cutting things out and such and it does not matter, I still have the pain. I have read that some on here have had luck using this. I am a little worried though since I do Not have constant diarreha or constipation so I am not sure how this will effect me. I mean I am VERY sensitive. For instanace I tried taking donnatol for pain help and the cramping. Well I only took a teaspoon of it and it constipated the hell out of me. I mean it seems like it only takes a small amount of something to mess me up or cause side effects. Then there is all the negative effects you hear about physillium. Some people say it is like a sponge and swells up inside you and bloats the heck out of some people.

Would like to know everyones experience with physillium husk if they have tried it....

My doctor suggested that I use psyllium husk as part of my treatment plan.

I've been taking it daily since about December and I can't really tell if it's aiding my condition or not.

afidz

Super Moderator
I found a whole website on the uses of psyllium husks, here is a quote from that site, the link is at the bottom, take a look at the link as there is some other useful information on constipation and diarrhea as well.
"Although studies have found conflicting results, some physicians recommend psyllium for mild-to-moderate cases of diarrhea from either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease (another type of inflammatory bowel disorder). In one study of people with ulcerative colitis, psyllium was as effective as the prescription drug mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, Asacol) in maintaining remission. However, for some people with IBD, too much psyllium can make symptoms worse. Work closely with your doctor to decide how much fiber is right for you"
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/psyllium-000321.htm

Thanks Afidz,

See that is just it, I am not having the diarreha, my main issue is severe pain. My concern is that the physilllium would cause me severe constipation. I am just not sure since they say it is used for treating both diarrhea and constipation. I guess it can also cause diarrhea. Hmm, thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I found a whole website on the uses of psyllium husks, here is a quote from that site, the link is at the bottom, take a look at the link as there is some other useful information on constipation and diarrhea as well.
"Although studies have found conflicting results, some physicians recommend psyllium for mild-to-moderate cases of diarrhea from either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease (another type of inflammatory bowel disorder). In one study of people with ulcerative colitis, psyllium was as effective as the prescription drug mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, Asacol) in maintaining remission. However, for some people with IBD, too much psyllium can make symptoms worse. Work closely with your doctor to decide how much fiber is right for you"
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/psyllium-000321.htm

Some doctors recommend to buy Metamucil which is basically psyllium husk with garbage ingredients in it. Why people don't buy psyllium husk itself is beyond me. Anyhow if you do psyllium husk or other alternatives(flax, chia seeds, activated charcoal, bentonite clay, etc) you MUST drink alot of water or else you could have pain, cramping, constipation, etc.

I don't think it would cause you constipation. The reason why it is suggested for those who suffer from diarrhea is to help bulk up the stool where the stools are watery. It could also be used to treat constipation where the cause of the constipation is not enough fiber. As with any fiber supplement, you need to take it with lots of water.

Thank you everyone for the advice and info, I do appreciate it.

Cat-A-tonic: Thanks or that link, I shall read it.

AlliRuns and Bangarang: thanks for the info and tips.

I guess I will read a bit before deciding whether to take it.If I decide to try it, I definitely will only use the whole organic physillium husk. I wont do metamuceil as it has other chemicals in it.

I tried using psyllium before I was diagnosed with crohn's, and it really made a difference for me! The only downside was that I was taking six psyllium pills with each meal, and after a while it felt like a ton!! But they were worth it!

everyone will react differenty to it, ive had good and bad experiances with it, i think if you have alot of bad bacteria, it just feeds too much of them, on the other hand, if your disease is mild, this may even put you in remission.

it can make you really dizzy when the bad bacteria are getting to it.