• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Extending bag wear time...

Hi all,

I am after some advice. I really want to use a 2 piece system to cut down on how often I change the seal around my new stoma. I am using a Hollister 55mm system at the moment but am only getting 1 day of wear before the seal goes, meaning I'm currently changing both bag and wafer daily.

Can you provide any advice on how to increase the life of the seal on the wafer?

Many thanks,
Dave.

You might try using a seal of some sort: Eakin, Salts, Coloplast (and others) all have seals of one type or another that many people here have had success with.

Nyx

I use the Coloplast SenSura 2 piece click system, and I get about 7 days out of my flanges and bags. Give the companies a call and get some free samples of things. They're all very helpful and more than willing to give you all kinds of goodies! The numbers are in a sticky in this forum.

Good luck!

annawato

Staff member
Paste could also help. I use the convatec one. A bit stingy on raw skin but only for a minute or so.
Is it going because of leaking under it or is it just coming unstuck?

Is it going because of leaking under it or is it just coming unstuck?
My feeling is that it is leaking underneath that is the problem. This then works its way radially outward. By the time 24hrs has passed the seal is just about failing at the edge of the wafer. I'm a little worried about possible skin irritation too although so far my skin looks ok and is not sore. It is very itchy by the end of the 24hr period though.

I have an appointment today with my Stoma Nurse so hopefully I can get some hands on advice too.

A flange extender might help too. brava coloplast has some. The Sensura 2 peice from coloplast is good with the brava strip paste. Or the Assura 2piece line really really sticks on me, with the brava strip paste as well. Good luck with the stoma nurse!

annawato

Staff member
I like the brava elastic flange extender. Flange extenders are good for some extra security but don't rely on them if you are leaking underneath because all it does is extend the time your skin is being irritated by the output.
When you remove your flange look at where the output has been, ie where it has leaked, and then you know to put extra paste there. I find paste essential for stopping leaks so hope it works for you too.