• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Extreme fatigue due to azathioprine?

Does anyone else have an issue with extreme fatigue? The only med I'm taking is azasan (azathioprine, imuran). I weigh 112lbs, take 100mg at night cause it used to make me really nauseous. Been on it since mid December or so (I was around 135lbs then due to prednisone). Could the med be the cause? All my bloodwork has been fine, except my hemoglobin is down as always and I take a regular iron supplement in addition to others. I have such an issue waking up in the morning that its starting to interfere with my job and daily activities. All I want to do is sleep! I've no Crohn's symptoms whatsoever. This fatigue, however, is making me batty.

nogutsnoglory

I have had very bad fatigue on the sister drug 6mp but to be honest I don't even know anymore because I'm always so fatigued. I feel much more energetic when off of meds but of course the disease gets wild and I can't afford to not be on maintenance medication.

It's possible you need a dose adjustment or a medication to help with wakefulness.

I actually do take adderall for ADHD still so I don't think I really need anything to help with wakefulness lol. I also am trying to stay away from any medications as much as I possibly can. My GI said my levels are fine and I don't think he wants to reduce it---he's actually trying to push me toward taking biologics again even though I haven't been scoped in a year and had an awful interaction last time.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
this drug can definitely cause fatigue for some.

You mention low hemoglobin and taking iron supplements. When is the last time you had your b12 levels checked? B12 deficiency can look like iron deficiency symptom-wise. It's an essential vitamin absorbed in only one part of the body...the terminal ileum near the end of your small intestine. So if you happen to have inflammation or damage there, your body will not properly absorb the vitamin from food or pill supplements. b12 injections go right to the blood stream and can be administered yourself or by your doctor.

Definitely look into getting these levels checked as they may help to improve your energy levels as well.

With regards to the medication, with time (some longer than others) the symptoms tend to fade based on what others on the forum have mentioned about imuran and fatigue. Also make sure to talk to your doctor about this...he may be able to adjust your medication or maybe even allow you to split the dosage. But don't split any dosage without consulting your GI first.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. I'm going through extreme fatigue also. My iron is low. All I want to do is sleep. I'm good for a 15 min walk followed by a 4 hour nap.
There is no way I can work in this state.

I had my b12 checked the last time I had my iron checked, it was on the lower side but still within normal range. I'm mostly vegan also so I've been making sure to keep up on my b12 supps ever since they said it was on the lower side. The med never made me tired initially, just crazy nauseous. I'd take it and start gagging twenty minutes after like clockwork. I don't believe I have any inflammation currently, wbc is normal, no pain, no D---but I guess I could have damage? How would they begin to figure that out? I've been adamant with my doctor that I'd like a second colonoscopy and upper EDG before doing any more meds since my initial symptoms started after a nasty bout with food poisoning.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Your body doesn't go completely healthy again once you stop flaring. With any inflammation in your intestines, after you stop flaring your body can build up scar tissue in the area which is what can sometimes for one example lead to complications such as thickening of the intestinal walls that causes bowel obstructions

I have bleeding ulcers in my large intestine when I flare. You can guarantee there is scar tissue in it's place now that my inflammation has gone down. that's what I mean by damage. When was the last time you have been scoped or scanned recently?

I had my first scope the end of last July, a year ago today actually, that's when they took biopsies and gave me a diagnosis. The last abdominal CT I had was in April or May I think.