• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Extremely Low Heart Rate Anyone?

I am 24 years old, and I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Crohn's. I've noticed a trend that whenever I'm super tired my resting heart rate drops to the low 40's. I do work night shift, so even though I make sleeping a huge priority, things happen and sometimes I am not able to get adequate sleep.

Yesterday before bed, my resting heart rate was 38. It was still 38 when I woke up. I feel kinda brain-foggy and slightly lethargic, but really no other symptoms.

I know that a low heart rate can be normal, especially if the person is young and physically active. Although I am young, I am not very active. I'm a heart monitor technition, so I basically sit and stare at a sceen and do paperwork all day.

My doctor is aware, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this (especially those who, like me, do not have any other cardiac issues)?

Kinda thinking it is an electrolyte imbalance? Time chug some coconut water...

Trysha

Staff member
With increased bowel activity it is quite possible to have an electrolyte imbalance and hopefully you are being monitored for this.
Keeping up with the fluids and having sports drinks like Gatorade can help to maintain the balance.
Hopefully you have seen a cardiologist to check up on the heart rate.
Sometimes athletic people have been found to have low heart rates and yet are normal in the usual tests.
Must be harder for you working in the field to ignore personal cardiological findings.
Feel better soon
Trysha