• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eye wonder what this is!

Hey all, thought I'd start a thread about eye-related stuff as I am noticing some issues, particularly with the super sunny weather at the moment.

My eyes seem to go quite blurry a lot. It kind of feels like there's something in them, but there isn't. It doesn't feel like a focusing problem, but more like something there that moves/goes away with a few blinks?

Really hard to describe this one. I have had this for a long time but only now think it may have a Crohn's connection? My concerns are obvious seeing as I am a photographer!

Any clues?

Hav you had them checked??

My uncle was complaining about fuzzy blurt spots coming an going in his eyes buy dis nothing
then one morning he woke up an couldn't see out his left eye

turned out too be a Tumor Which he had too hav his eye removed for

don't wanna scare ya but fuzzy blurry eye sight shouldn't be ignored an best checked/tested

Yes Shaz you should def get them checked especially if it has been a while since your last check-up. I can't really help or give much advice as the only time I struggled was when I was on pred... mind you I don't have the best eye sight to begin with as I wear glasses 24/7 and Im as blind as a bat if I don't wear them!! Good luck Hun def get them checked for peace of mind you don't want to be stuffing around with something as important as your eyesight!

Yup, I guess I should - just another thing to deal with!

I've never really had an eye check properly, just had the doc get me to do a quick test a few years back (same issues happening) and apparabtly no problem. It was blamed on fatigue. It's like my vision itself is clear but I have something in my eyses that needs blinked away. I will ask in case it is an inflammation thing! Urgh!

It could be dry eyes I get extremely dry eyes and it feel like their is something irritating my eye so Im forever rubbing them etc. But it wont hurt to get your eyes checked out by a proper optomitrist (not sure how to spell it) I know your meant to get them check like every couple of years.. but I seem to get mine checked ever year seeing as I wear glasses. They also check the health of my eyes while there. Might pay to make an appointment Shaz.

Good idea, I'll check with the chemist/pharmacy. Though they don't really feel dry?They are STILL feeling all weird 4 hours after getting out of the sun! ::sigh::

Thanks for that pam. I wore sunglasses the whole time. It does seem to only happen when I am taking photos though - or that is when I notice it. Maybe fatigue from all the squinting into the camera? I will get it checked though next time I'm at the doc. Can't be having a photographer with fuzzy eyes!

i wonder then if it is a bit of a dry eyes/squinting thing? Maybe you're not blinking as much as normal, because you're so focused on the shots?

Dunno! I'll se what happens tomorrow when I'm doing photos again. I definately only really notice it when having done photos. Hmmm....Well at least my bowels have been behaving! :)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I get floaters a lot.....They were really bad when I was hospitalized. The Optometrist called them floaters....(I am 40 now, so I wonder if it is part of normal aging?) Definitely go to the eye doctor just in case.

I have floaters really bad and have noticed them the past few years. Allegedly they don't affect your vision, but I have horrible eyes anyway, so it just aggravates me that much more.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hiya Shaz,
Crohn's can cause a number of other issues including the eyes. I was told to get an eye checkup annually. I don't because I'm blessed with good vision and hate scheduling yet another doc appt. I do suffer from floaters and my eyes get dry sometimes. Worse when I'm flaring - I wonder if it has something to do with dehydration from diarrhea?

Anyhow, you should get them checked. I say that knowing I'm long overdue for an appt too.

Do you have light-colored eyes (blue or green)? If you do, they're especially sensitive to sunlight so make sure you wear shades!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I get dry eyes if I am on Steroids, or not drinking enough water. I use drops and it helps. Everyone should should have a full eye exam. I have good eyes, just cant see lol. I need reading glasses and should wear driving glasses.

My eye's are dry and sensitive to light on the Pred. I use a product called 'tear gel' which mimics your natural eye moisture and soothes them a lot!

Thanks guys. It is definately a sun thing. 4.5 hours photographing in the cold/rain today and while I have the feeling a wee bit, it's pretty negligable. I do have light eyes and alwasy feel like wearing shades, even when it's not sunny. Perhaps I could get some sun-repellant contacts? ;)

Hey Shaz...I have been noticing over the past 6 months or so that if I read a lot - or stare at my monitor for too long or do something that I need a lot of eye "concentration" (think - looking in the peep hole of your camera) for that I get what you are describing. It almost feels to me like when you squint your eyes and blink a few times how they can become unclear and you have to blink again to make them clear? It is like that but my eyes are wide open. Blurry and almost like they aren't focusing correctly. Hubby attributes it to eye strain and says don't worry about it (eh -but he isn't great about ordering any of us to the doctor either - very lackadaisical about it in fact). BUT...I may just go get a proper eye exam after what I just read Foggy say. Better to be safe than sorry.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hey, Shaz. I think I jinxed myself. This past week I've been having vision issues. Worst has been today. It's like my vision is blurred when I put things too close and my eyes were particularly sensitive to the bright light from the snow. Even my computer screen seems bright.

I'm afraid I may need reading glasses. Going to make eye doc appt next week. Make sure you go too!

Oh Fen, that's a pain! I was actually at the doc yesterday and forgot to ask about the eye thing! Silly me. I'm not majorly worried, it does seem like exactly what Shantel describes and made worse by bright light as i didn't have it nearly as bad doing photos on a cloudy day. Kinda feels like there is stuff in there that needs blinked away and is likely a fatigue thing.
Good luck with your eye test - glasses can be sexy you know ;)

I've had floaters for years but nothing quite like you are describing. My eye doctor had told me they are clumps of protein. High stress causes mine to mulitply, otherwise, they really don't bother me at least.

If there are flashes... and not from your camera... that's when you need to seek professional advice like yesterday. That was a sign of bad things happening to your retina.

Thanks Lisa, no flashes, just a fuzzy, gluggy feeling. I get those floaters too. Sometimes I have been known to entertain myself with them, moving my eyes around and watching them float while looking at a dark/plain background - but then I am a bit mental!

I get my eyes tested every two years, and they do all kinds of tests which I'm quite grateful for and will find any potential problems before they get too bad. I get floaters too. I also get an ocular migraine every couple of years or so, but that may be more a brain thing than an eye thing.
Don't know if you hate the idea of wearing glasses, but I think you should get your eyes tested as it will help put your mind at rest.
My boss spends all day squinting through a magnifying glass... when I suggest he should get his eyes tested he says: I don't need glasses, I just can't see the small print!

imisspopcorn said:
I get floaters a lot.....They were really bad when I was hospitalized. The Optometrist called them floaters....(I am 40 now, so I wonder if it is part of normal aging?) Definitely go to the eye doctor just in case.
Everyone gets floaters, from children up.

When you're confined to bed for a while, they migrate and settle at at the back of your eye where you can see them more frequently. When you're mobile again, they settle back down to the bottom of the eye where they don't disturb vision.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
My doctor could see an area on my retina that was the culprit. He said it was nothing significant...So I don't worry about it. It did really notice it when I was hospitalized....Who knows!