• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eyesight and crohns

I wonder if anyone has had any eyesight problems, either with the crohns itself or with any of the drug treatments?
I've noticed over the last few weeks that my eyesight has altered. I have worn specs for quite a number of years due to age related degeneration, my most recent test was February this year when I got my first varifocals. They've been great up till a couple of weeks ago when I've noticed both the distance and the close up has changed, quite dramatically actually, nothing is now quite in focus.
Any comments? Thanks.
Bunty x

I've been having the same problem with my eyesight right before and during a flare up. It seems that at least with me it has a lot to do with my eyes being too dry, so I've been putting eye drops 3 times a day and after about a week my sight was good again.

Not sure if that helps, hope you get better!

I already suffer from dry eyes and have been using hypromellose eye drops, and viscotears gel for a number of years. This new problem is different, it's as if my eyes have suddenly gone out of focus, or somebody swapped my specs without telling me 😕
I think I need to make an eye test appointment..
Thanks for the suggestion though 😊
Bunty x

I've always wondered this too!!

I don't have the best eye sight and I get random burning in my eyes and no eye drops I have tried have helped. Sometimes I wonder if things are Crohns related or completely separate. So hard to know! Frustrating when doctors always say it "could be" but also could be totally separate

Both of my siblings have some sort of eye condition - they seem to get irritations that can become quite severe. While they don't have crohn's, one of the first questions my brother was asked was if someone in his family had crohn's. There must be some relationship. I know crohn's can cause some eye problems, but don't believe I have personally had them.

I've found that my eyesight has changed every 6 months or so, especially after my diagnosis.

Every time I go in to my opticians, I always get a puzzled look as to why I'm back so soon...and tinted lense replacements twice a year (as I'm v. light sensitive) are an added expense too!

Also has anyone else developed problems with their eye muscles?

(i.e. it's blurry to read a book having stared into the distance for a while and vice versa)

Mine aren't converging fast enough, especially for a young person, and no one's been able to say why.