• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Faecal calprotectin test pack

I got a letter through from the hospital asking for me to do one of these tests via my GP surgery.
When I went to the surgery to pick up the necessary equipment they seemed uncertain which test pack to use and have given me one which you do over three days, using wooden sticks to put a tiny amount of faeces in two windows.
Is this the right test pack?
Thanks.
Bunty x

scottsma

That's the test pack for over 60s bowel cancer testing that we get annually through the post.But I expect it does the same job.Do you have to take it back to you GPs surgery.?
I was given a normal specimen bottle from the hospital for my calprotectin test.As long as they know what they're looking for and why,it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, that's the one scottsma, exactly the same. I just wonder if there's enough sample to test.
Yes, I take it back to the surgery and hand it in at reception. Hopefully it'll be ok, not a great problem if it's not the right kit except they want it ASAP and it will just delay things.
Fingers crossed 😊
Bunty x

Fecalcalprotectin stool test should be a container the size of a pill bottle with a tiny scoop attached to the underside of the lid. It will have a level line marked on the bottle for you to fill to. They will also sometimes give you a poo hat, a contraption to put under your toilet seat to catch the stool, if they don't request one.

Lady Organic

Staff member
the ''FIT'' test for bowel cancer (testing presence of blood in stool) is not the same as Fecal Calprotectine. Are you sure the doctor ordered FC or the doctor may want to test you for bowel cancer with the FIT test?

Fecal calprotectine is one small bottle to put one sample of stool in about the size of an almond. sample should be taken of first stool of the day and be brought to the lab as soon as possible. It can be put n the fridge for a up to 3 days I think but i prefer to bring it right away after Im done. Hospital staff should not let you go uncertain...

It's definitely the faecal calprotectin was test, it's on the form the hospital sent. I've done the bowel cancer screening test in the past, it's not that.
The problem is, the form says for me to have it done through my GP surgery, and unfortunately the only persons available to give me a test pack were the receptionists who didn't seem to know, this was late on Friday afternoon.
It's only since doing the first part of the three day poo stick thing today, that it occurred to me it very possibly is the wrong test kit. And from what you're all saying, it is the wrong one.
I'll take the completed poo stick test in on Monday morning and ask the receptionists to check with the practice nurse or a doctor. It's pointless sending the poo stick test off if all it does is test for blood, I've been bleeding continuously since 1st June so one thing I can guarantee is they'll find blood!!
Quite fancy a poo hat 😊
Thanks everyone, very helpful.
Bunty x

Yes, that's the one scottsma, exactly the same. I just wonder if there's enough sample to test.
Yes, I take it back to the surgery and hand it in at reception. Hopefully it'll be ok, not a great problem if it's not the right kit except they want it ASAP and it will just delay things.
Fingers crossed ��
Bunty x
That sounds like the fecal occult blood test. You'll need to do a different separate test for fecal calprotectin.