• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

False negative calprotectin

Hello, I wanted to ask the crohnies here, is it possible to have multiple negative calprotectin tests (like 10-15 tests, 1 test every 3rd week of the month), without any medications, but to have active microscopic inflammation in TI or colon? We are talking about calprotecting values in the range [10-30mg/kg]

Scipio

No lab test is 100% accurate, meaning non have no false positives nor false negatives. So maybe the test just doesn't work for you. There are certainly many Crohn's patients for whom CRP is never elevated. you seem to be an example of the same thing for calprotectin.

The source of calprotectin I the stool is thought to be from a certain type of white blood cells that are responding to the inflammation. Perhaps in your case your level or type of inflammation is not triggering the type or degree of immune response likely to produce elevated fecal calprotectin.

No lab test is 100% accurate, meaning non have no false positives nor false negatives. So maybe the test just doesn't work for you. There are certainly many Crohn's patients for whom CRP is never elevated. you seem to be an example of the same thing for calprotectin.

The source of calprotectin I the stool is thought to be from a certain type of white blood cells that are responding to the inflammation. Perhaps in your case your level or type of inflammation is not triggering the type or degree of immune response likely to produce elevated fecal calprotectin.
Thaks for the response, btw I dont have crohn's I am with IBS.

Scipio

Yes, if the diagnosis is IBS and not IBD then the low calprotectin is a true negative and not a false negative.