• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Family history of Crohn’s.... anyone??

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
We think my Granny had IBD but, aren't quite sure since she seemed to have quite a few ailments. I do know that she was Lactose Intolerant and also died of Alzheimer's.

I also know that Mom has Diverticulitis and has been hospitalized a few times from it. And, at least one of my cousins has Ulcerative Colitis.

No family history.
It was discovered during an autopsy that my mother had Diverticulitis.
I wasn’t diagnosed till 52 years old!
No Doctor in UK has ever asked me if it runs in my family?
All I’ve been told is that doctors do not know what causes some people to develop Crohn’s.

I have crohns, my older sister has it and my oldest brother has Ulcerative colitis, younger brother and sister have IBS. My mother has diverticulitis and my late grandmothers on both sides hapad bowel issues. My one uncle died at age 50 with bowel cancer and his brother had IBD. my self and my nephew and great nephew have Ankylosing Spondylitis. So yes, it runs heavily in my family.

Just curious: how many of you have a family history of IBD, and how many of you have no idea where it came from?
Myself,sister, cousins x2 and 1 aunt,,,but,,I was the first one to be diagnoised and the rest was easier for my family to find their issues[87]

Pretty sure my father has it, he's always had a dodgy belly, but its mild. My Daughter has it -again very mild.

Pretty sure my father has it, he's always had a dodgy belly, but its mild. My Daughter has it -again very mild.
So sorry about your daughter,,,,,my sister and I were very young when we became sick,, the STRESS that a Mom and Dad have to suffer with [seeing your sick kid does a lot on the mind] Im 51 now in my time there wasnt much to do but "NPO" no food or drink[at all] to rest the intestines....Now thank GOD there is so much meds and knowledge out there... Stay strong.. Wish your family HOPE to help you get by....Rod..

I have two first cousins who are the same age as me who have it. Prior to the three of us, our great-grandmother had "malabsorption" and required surgery on her small intestine. This was sometime between 1935 and 1940, which was the same era when Dr. Crohn was first describing the condition so no one really knew what to call it. She was in her 40s when she had to have the surgery.

Crohns has been around for very long time ,just ,nobody knew what was going on.. 1800s people were having the intestines burn through the abdomen ,causing massive fisculars coming through the abdomen area,,, spilling bio-fluids,, we are lucky we dont live back then, we'd all be in horrorible condition , most will die a horrific death, the pain, dysentery and more terrible conditions......

Last edited:
I have two first cousins who are the same age as me who have it. Prior to the three of us, our great-grandmother had "malabsorption" and required surgery on her small intestine. This was sometime between 1935 and 1940, which was the same era when Dr. Crohn was first describing the condition so no one really knew what to call it. She was in her 40s when she had to have the surgery.
I know my pepere' [grandfather] had it he NEVER complained about anything, was alway haing accidents and you can see the pain in his face..He is the first that the family knows [thinks] had it...... I was very small I alway felt bad to see him that way..............That was the 70's-90's.....for me....He couldve been sick since the 40's, nobody knows for sure......