• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Family history or Crohns and showing symptoms

Hey everyone!
My name is Angelica and I'm 20 years old.
For the past 3-4 years, I've had really bad diarrhea. My parents and siblings would make fun of me for my 'sensitive stomach'. Recently, it's just gotten so much worse. I have diarrhea at least 4 days a week. And it's multiple times a day. I've recently had a baby (7months) and I now have hemorrhoids. The diarrhea has just made them so much worse and makes them bleed a lot. I'm so tired of being grocery shopping and having to rush to the bathroom or being home alone with my baby and having to bring him to the bathroom with me because he won't let me put him down.
I spoke to my grandma today and she told me that my grandpa had Crohns disease, along with a few other family members. I don't really know if it's hereditary or if I even have it. I don't have health insurance right now, and I'm just so tired of having diarrhea so much already.
My question, is Crohns hereditary? Do my symptoms sound like Crohns? What is the process like getting diagnosed?

It sounds like it could be. You need to see a GI pronto. If you go to the ER they cannot turn you away.

I thought everyone had health insurance now?? :(

My son was diagnosed by being scoped and biopsies were taken.

I wish everyone had it :(
I had Medicaid while I was pregnant but we still haven't added me to my husbands employers insurance.
I know I can go to the ER but what am I supposed to say? It's not really an 'emergency'

Your symptoms sound similar to my son's. I took him to the ER where he was admitted, scoped and diagnosed the next day. We have health insurance, so I'm ignorant about how not having it effects things.

You've probably gotten worse over time, so you are used to being sick, but I once went to the ER with food poisoning. I think you need to go if it's the only way for you to get help. You need help! :ghug:

Lady Organic

Staff member
''hemmorhoids which bleed a lot'' are concerning to me. Blood could also be caused by crohn's... With the increasing symptoms you describe and family history of crohn's, I'd really go to the emergency if i were you, If I had no access to a doctor. I've been to the ER for less important situations than my crohn's and they have always accepted to see me. best wishes.