• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Family History/Prevention

So, I have UC/Crohns...my father had his colon out from darvaticulitis (can't spell it)...I have a son who is 13 and I just want to know what I should be doing for him so he does his best to prevent this from happening to him. I know they don't have a cure and a cause but there must be something I can do now to help him somehow not have to deal with this terrible disease. Or keep it at bay for as long as possible. He is a nervous type just like me so I know my genes are stronger in him. I am new to this forum but I just read about this poor woman who has 2 children diagnosed with this...has there been any studies on familes that anyone knows of that I can start to read up on? I guess diet and exercise and lots of fresh air...just be healthy as possible but...but perhaps a diet rich in one vitamin vs. another might be better? He is taking something for his acne and I am already leary of that...the few times he has loose BM's I am worried. I would love to inspect his poop once a week but I don't want to scare him. I believe his PCP thinks I am crazy...since he shows no symptoms. I'm not looking for trouble for him...but how do I ignore this strong family history? Anyone else going through this???

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I don't think there's any sure-fire way to avoid IBD. I don't believe that there is any known cause for it or why it triggers in some people with the genetics for it but not others. I would do common sense things, like not give him antibiotics unless they're absolutely necessary and avoid NSAIDS. Make sure he eats healthy and exercises, it sounds like you're doing that already. Try not to worry about it too much as it won't do you or him any good. It's certainly possible he'll never develop IBD, even with a family histsory. So just try to relax and enjoy the fact that you have a healthy son. :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I have heard/read that vitamin d may help "prevent" Crohn's. I think "prevent" is most likely a strong word, but I don't think extra vitamin d can hurt.