• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Family member Of Crohn's

Hey there everyone-
So glad to find this post-I have such a family history of Colon cancer and Crohn's. It started with my oldest sister-WHo to this day battles it. She was in her 20's when she had her first attack. And 30 years ago there was not alot of info. Doctors told her weeks later that they missed it and she had a case against them for malpractice. She did not pursue it. So every Holiday I remember going to the hospital with my mother cause it seemed Holidays brought on the worst attacks (probably the food). Now she faces loosing both her legs du to the Veno navo clip they performed to stop her from passing bloodclots from her legs-Now fast forward to yesterday-I am Tonys Mom. he is 30 years old and when he was 16 we attempted to get him diagnosed-but doctors did not care about family history. Took a week stay and last day colonoscopy to finally get the crohn's diag. at the age of 24. Yesterday was a holiday-they live in Florida Enjoying the beach when Tony started to shake. So they but him under blankets to warm him-When a police officer noticed he was not well-Ambulance came his temp was 106. Heat stroke-Small Hospital and they start doing unnecessary test-such as a spinal Tap that causes him to go into a full seizure. Around midnight his fever came down to 99. Only to re spike to 103.6 this morning while on antibiotics and tylenol. My dear Duaghter in law has taken him from there and they are now at the Hospital she works for and with his doctor. Anyone seen any correlation between holidays heat and crohns. or is it just my family that is unique when they get sick (LOL). I am still waiting to hear about my son and always keep up to date with my sister who in the most part is doing good.
Thank you
Karen

Hi Karen. Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your sister and son. I hope both of them get better soon. Now that you mentioned about heat and holidays, my daughter's flare ups had always happened in summer. She does not have any problems with food, she eats almost everything. Best wishes to you and your family,

Well I am learning that the heat and crohn's are not good mixtures-My son has the food intolerance tho as well. But he is in his 30's and Moms advice is just that.